glass carboy or plastic bucket?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zombiebrew

Reaction score
Hi guys. I just siphoned my first batch of home brew, an english pale ale, into my 2nd carboy tonight. It looks, smells, and even tastes great at this point! I suppose there isn't much reason to really transfer it, other than to learn some technique, and I'm not quite sure when I'll be able to bottle it.

The question I have is;

is there any advantage to using glass carboys as opposed to plastic buckets as your primary and secondary fermenters?
ease of use?
quality?
Seems like carboys require a little bit more work than a bucket with a spigot on the bottom would. I did enjoy being able to see the yeast storm, but at the same time, I also had to keep it covered with a towel when I wasn't peaking.
Maybe less chance of contamination with a glass carboy?
Thanks in advance for the help everyone.

Hey zombie,
Glass carboys are nice because they aren't as susceptible to contamination as plastic and you can watch your beer ferment :). Buckets are nice because they are cheaper and can hold more liquid. BOTH are effective. I typically use a carboy for primary and if I do use a secondary I'll use a bucket

Sreidy12,
Using a bucket for secondary, do you need to be concerned with all the oxygen head space? Also, seems like these days the only reason people are moving to a secondary is for long term conditioning. If this is the case, is there air penetration issues with the plastic buckets?

Zombie,
I have always used glass carboys, but did my first batch in a bucket a few weeks ago. When I was cleaning up, all I could think about is the potential for all the little tiny scratches contaminating my future batches. Also, it seems like all the fermentation 'crud' that you typically have to scrape off the top sides of the carboy was missing in the bucket. Did it fall back into the beer??? Will probably stick to glass carboys. Like Sreidy12 said, fun to watch.

i love glass carboys because i can scrub the crap out of them. some say they are hard to manage and move around but i just put mine in a milk crate, works great and is more stable while carrying.

Sreidy12,
Using a bucket for secondary, do you need to be concerned with all the oxygen head space? Also, seems like these days the only reason people are moving to a secondary is for long term conditioning. If this is the case, is there air penetration issues with the plastic buckets?

Zombie,
I have always used glass carboys, but did my first batch in a bucket a few weeks ago. When I was cleaning up, all I could think about is the potential for all the little tiny scratches contaminating my future batches. Also, it seems like all the fermentation 'crud' that you typically have to scrape off the top sides of the carboy was missing in the bucket. Did it fall back into the beer??? Will probably stick to glass carboys. Like Sreidy12 said, fun to watch.

for the first question, there really isn't a need for a secondary unless you are dry hopping or adding fruit.

and for the second question- there is a potential risk for scratches/infections in plastic, but a good bleach soak after 4-5 batches takes good care of that. just remember to wash all the bleach out and keep up with good sanitation practices. and the crud or krausen ring doesn't always stick to the sides, but plastic is certainly not immune to it.

It doesn't matter what you use. The glass vs plastic "debate" is pointless, it doesn't matter they all work perfectly fine. One's not better than any other.

There is little "absolutes" in brewing, glass vs plastic, Stainless vs Aluminum, Batch vs fly- they all work fine.

In brewing all that matters is what you prefer. It's up to you to make that decision. But it's not about what's better or worse, just what's better for YOU.

As to the secondary or not issue, there's 10,000,000 or more threads already on here, just look around.

Start with this thread... https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/secondary-not-john-palmer-jamil-zainasheff-weigh-176837/

It doesn't matter what you use. The glass vs plastic "debate" is pointless, it doesn't matter they all work perfectly fine. One's not better than any other.

There is little "absolutes" in brewing, glass vs plastic, Stainless vs Aluminum, Batch vs fly- they all work fine.

In brewing all that matters is what you prefer. It's up to you to make that decision. But it's not about what's better or worse, just what's better for YOU.

As to the secondary or not issue, there's 10,000,000 or more threads already on here, just look around.

Start with this thread... https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/secondary-not-john-palmer-jamil-zainasheff-weigh-176837/

+1. If anything, my preference is that a bucket is much easier to clean than a carboy.

I have yet to get any scratches on my bucket and I have not dropped my glass carboy...

If you do use a bucket and you clean it right after use with bleach it will get rid of all the odors and be ready for the next batch...

is there any advantage to using glass carboys as opposed to plastic buckets as your primary and secondary fermenters?

The most important points are:
1) Not all of the information volunteered here is of 100% accuracy.

2) I could tell you to use glass, but if you use the same plastic
bucket over enough times, you'll come to the same conclusion yourself
anyway.

Ray

I primary in buckets and secondary in carboys, just how it worked out. I secondary all my beers, and the 2 reasons I do: 1. Its the way I learned how to brew and 2. I lets more stuff settle out of the beer after primary is done, and all that stuff makes me get stomach cramps and headaches. If it didn't give me cramps and headaches I would only secondary the BIG beers that need long conditioning times.

The most important points are:
1) Not all of the information volunteered here is of 100% accuracy.

2) I could tell you to use glass, but if you use the same plastic
bucket over enough times, you'll come to the same conclusion yourself
anyway.

Ray
:confused:
In regard to point 2, why?
I've used the same bucket over and over. This weekend will be batch 125 for me, and I've used one of the same 3 buckets for almost every batch. My beer just keeps getting better as I gain experience. I've never notice anything happening to my buckets or the beer in them over time. They still make beer that wins competitions. What have you seen?

BTW I own all three types of fermenters and have used them all for beer. I never noticed a difference at all in the final product. Now I just use bucket for ease of use, plus my carboys are used for mead, wine, and barley wine.

BTW I own all three types of fermenters and have used them all for beer. I never noticed a difference at all in the final product. Now I just use bucket for ease of use, plus my carboys are used for mead, wine, and barley wine.

Me too....I have 11 fermenters of all styles, BB's, Glass carboys, Buckets, 3 gallon water jugs, even my old Mr Beer for 2.5 gallon batches, and guess what, they all make beer.

I don't like glass for safety issues, so I use it for long term things like apfelwein, where I'm not going to be moving it around to rack or anything. But other than that, they all make beer.

The idea that one makes better beer over the other is ludicrous.

glass is better, but, plastic seems to work just fine. i don't think anyone has said glass makes better beer.

I agree, unless you're going to be gone a long time. I've noticed some off-flavors when I use a plastic fermenter for more than a month or two; it could be the greater oxygen permeability, it could be flavors that the plastic absorbed from previous brews, it could be compounds in the plastic leaching out. No clue. That's just been my experience.

Agreed. As usual, "Revvy" provides a voice of reason. Face it: if any type of fermenter had proven itself measurably superior to any other, the others would have fallen by the wayside long ago. But the processes that become habits in any pastime like this hasn't nearly as much to do with things that are either / or, black / white, as much as it does to attachment to the way things have been done. Hence the origins of the saw "If it ain't broke-"

Agreed. As usual, "Revvy" provides a voice of reason. Face it: if any type of fermenter had proven itself measurably superior to any other, the others would have fallen by the wayside long ago. But the processes that become habits in any pastime like this hasn't nearly as much to do with things that are either / or, black / white, as much as it does to attachment to the way things have been done. Hence the origins of the saw "If it ain't broke-"

That's not the point. Obviously a new plastic container properly sanitized
will give you good beer. But there's a reason the professionals don't use
it: eventually it becomes fouled. So if you want you can use plastic
until you blow a batch from contamination (or maybe more than one if
you try to get rid of the infection and you can't instead of getting a new
bucket) or you can just use glass to begin with and never worry about it.

Ray

Ray

The point is that I should use the same equipment as the professionals? You lost me there, man, I'm an amateur, and proud of it.....and I'm certainly not worried about it.

The point is that I should use the same equipment as the professionals? You lost me there, man, I'm an amateur, and proud of it.....and I'm certainly not worried about it.

the point is that professionals use glass. wait, no. the point is "i'm right, and everyone else is wrong despite evidence to the contrary"

the plastic v glass debate really needs to die already.

I've been to quite a few micro breweries in the detroit area that do small batches of special beers in Ale Pales sitting next to their SS BBl systems. Same with wines in some of those places. They don't seem to have a problem with using buckets.

Plastic is easy to handle, move when full and replace, but it scratches and stains. Glass is easy to clean, doesn't scratch, but is much more of a pain to move when full and is more expensive to replace. You just pick what works for you.

Use glass for higher gravity brews or anything that'll be sitting for a while. It's better for longer storage. Besides that, there are no noticeable differences. I say stick with the cheaper and easier to clean, but have a glass carboy handy if you plan on doing anything that'll sit for a while.

Ray

Ok? :confused:

Could someone please tell me when my fermenters are going to suddenly go bad? Is it on batch 125? Please say no! That's the batch I'm doing this weekend. I don't want it to be ruined because I'm using plastic.:p

As long as you take proper care of the container and you sanitize correctly it doesn't matter what you use.

BTW the only two batches I've ever had infected out of that 124 batches done so far were both done in glass. ;)

Plastic is easy to handle, move when full and replace, but it scratches and stains. Glass is easy to clean, doesn't scratch, but is much more of a pain to move when full and is more expensive to replace. You just pick what works for you.

And there you have it.

i dislike carboys because they are not graduated and they let more uv in.

however, those issues are very minor and when used as a seconday with cardboard do not exist.

the point is that professionals use glass.

The point is: a material that does not lend itself to easy contamination
is a better choice in the long run. Homebrewers can use glass or metal
fermenters. As I said, plastic is fine initially but eventually it becomes
contaminated, despite the anecdotal evidence posted here to the contrary.

I can only assume the extreme hostility to the idea that plastic is not that
great comes from people with an interest in selling beginners kits with
plastic buckets.

Ray

plastic buckets.

Ray

if you buy me a glass/ss replacement for all my plastic buckets, i'll join the glass is great team. now thats: 1-6.5gal, 1-4gal, 1-3gal, and 2-2.5 gal.
:mug:

plastic buckets.

Ray

Are you avoiding my question? I will ask you again.

When will they go bad?

I've been using 3 buckets for years now. Today I will start batch 125. When does this unaviodable contamintion happen?

Don't bother totem, thisn is that silly debate that has no winner. Ray STILL doesn't get the difference between preference and better.There is no BETTER in this argument. The air permiability argument has been long busted, people have used the same buckets for upwards of a drecade (homebrewer99 for example) with no contamination issues, and many of us hate glass for the dangers, so all those issues balance out. But AGIN, great beer ha s been made and will continue to be made in ALL MANNER of fermenters, so it only comes down to WHAT WE PREFER, and nothing else.

It's a silly argument to be having anymore.

Don't bother totem, thisn is that silly debate that has no winner. Ray STILL doesn't get the difference between preference and better.There is no BETTER in this argument. The air permiability argument has been long busted, people have used the same buckets for upwards of a drecade (homebrewer99 for example) with no contamination issues, and many of us hate glass for the dangers, so all those issues balance out. But AGIN, great beer ha s been made and will continue to be made in ALL MANNER of fermenters, so it only comes down to WHAT WE PREFER, and nothing else.

It's a silly argument to be having anymore.

I agree totally. I just wanted him to clarify his point.

..... or show that he is not interested in the truth. I think that has been done now.

I agree totally. I just wanted him to clarify his point.

..... or show that he is not interested in the truth. I think that has been done now.

everyone needs to just let this one go. it's the same arguement that's happened a hundred times and is sure to happen a hundred more. let this one die.

Interesting that my last response was responded to immediately.
On Saturday morning. This issue is SO important to some people,
it's a little weird.

Ray

There is no BETTER in this argument.

yeah right, try impressing your friends by showing them the white bucket that "supposidly" has beer in it. :D

or you could just hand them a great tasting homebrew:mug:

yeah right, try impressing your friends by showing them the white bucket that "supposidly" has beer in it. :D

or you could just hand them a great tasting homebrew:mug:

instead, show em a glass carboy at full krausen and watch em spit that beer right out. :drunk:

You can hear all about fermenters here on Jamil's show:
http://thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/550

They say you use a plastic bucket 5 or 6 times then
replace it. If you want to do that, that's your preference,
I'd rather have something longer lasting, and without
having to guess when it's not contaminated.

Ray

Back