2nd Year Hops...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craig311

Reaction score
It's early April here in CT and my cascade is coming up. But... holy crap there are a lot of vines! Should I stick to one or two? Just based on how big they are compared to the others?

With proper care, a hop plant can support up to four bines. If you only have one piece of twine rigged, use two.

My 2nd year cascades are going like mad so I pruned all but 3 and my Northern Brewers are not as big but I still kept 3 bines.

With proper care, a hop plant can support up to four bines. If you only have one piece of twine rigged, use two.

I've had great success with 6 - 8 bines per crown. It depends on soil type, fertilization, and sunlight. I don't use commercial fertilizers, just plenty of cow & chicken poo in addition to my gardens compost. My one nugget crown yielded just over 4 lbs dry last year with 6 bines. Only real issues I had last year were Japanese beetles

Back