Tell me what you think of this Pumpkin recipe.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dubcut

Reaction score
I'm stoked for this, I've been enjoying the hell out of shipyard's pumpkin ale. This will probably be a little more filling and pie tasting, but I'm looking forward to it.

I'm still playing around with the recipe, this is it for now.

Kettle Volume: 6.48 gal (S.G.: 1.052)
Boil Duration: 1.5 hr
Evaporation: 0.75 gal
Water Volume Added: 0.0 gal
Final Volume: 5.5 gal (S.G.: 1.063)
Efficiency: 75.0%
Attenuation: 75.0%
Evap/Hour: 0.5 gal
Ingredients:
10.0 lb Pearl Pale Ale Malt
1.38 lb Munich 20L Malt
0.17 lb English Chocolate Malt
0.17 lb Belgian Special B
4.0 lb Pumpkin (canned) - added during boil, boiled 60.0 min
0.5 oz Northern Brewer (8.0%) - added during boil, boiled 60.0 min
1.0 oz Goldings (5.0%) - added during boil, boiled 30.0 min
1.7 tsp Allspice - added during boil, boiled 10.0 min
1.7 tsp Nutmeg (ground) - added during boil, boiled 10.0 min
2.5 tsp Cinnamon (ground) - added during boil, boiled 10.0 min
0.25 lb Dark Brown Sugar
1.0 tsp Irish Moss - added during boil, boiled 10.0 min
1.0 tsp Vanilla (extract) - added dry to primary fermenter
Style:
Recipe
Original Gravity: 1.063
Terminal Gravity: 1.016
Color: 17.75 °SRM
Alcohol: 5.72%
Bitterness: 25.9

What do you think of the spice levels? Is the allspice just repetitive?

I used real pumpkin in my Smiling Pumpkin Ale. Cut it up, clean it out, bake it until soft, put it in a bag and add to boil. Remove before adding spices (so the spices don't get caught up in bag).

If you do it this way, DO NOT throw out the pumpkin. Use it to make pie. Hoppy pumpkin pie. The best danged pie you'll ever eat!!!

I used real pumpkin in my Smiling Pumpkin Ale. Cut it up, clean it out, bake it until soft, put it in a bag and add to boil. Remove before adding spices (so the spices don't get caught up in bag).

If you do it this way, DO NOT throw out the pumpkin. Use it to make pie. Hoppy pumpkin pie. The best danged pie you'll ever eat!!!

Hey, now that is novel!

The thought of all grain is still tiring for me, so I'm going to go with the steeping method instead. Here's the recipe that will be brewed today

6.0 lb Dry Light
.5 lb Dry Wheat
1.0 lb Crystal 60
0.125 lb English Chocolate Malt
0.125 lb Belgian Special B
4.0 lb Pumpkin (canned) - added during boil, boiled 60.0 min
0.5 oz Northern Brewer (8.0%) - added during boil, boiled 60.0 min
1.0 oz Goldings (5.0%) - added during boil, boiled 30.0 min
0.25 lb Dark Brown Sugar
1.5 tsp Allspice - added during boil, boiled 10.0 min
1.5 tsp Nutmeg (ground) - added during boil, boiled 10.0 min
2 tsp Cinnamon (ground) - added during boil, boiled 10.0 min
1.0 tsp Irish Moss - added during boil, boiled 10.0 min
1.0 tsp Vanilla (extract) - added dry to prima1.0 ea White Labs WLP023 Burton Ale

I'll take some pictures while I'm at it.

Update:

Had an interesting time making this; ran out of propane after 30 minutes, could only obtain a weak simmer on my electric stove for the other half. I was tired and it was cold so I left it out over night to cool down. Today I transferred the wort over to a bucket to ferment with white labs burton ale yeast. I had about a gallon more than I expected so I threw it in a milk jug with some wine yeast that was laying around. I wonder what that will taste like?

I put 7 lbs of dme rather than 6, .125 lbs (1/2 cup) of brown sugar rather than a cup, also added a small tsp of almond extract. I also didn't evaporate as much water as I usually do because I couldn't keep a hard boil.

Smells great and fermentation is taking off.

Update: Uh oh, fermenting stopped which is good, but it's smelling less spicy and more meaty/brothy. What happened to that nice pumpkin spice smell? Hell if I know, it's crash cooling now though, hopefully after some time to prime in the keg this meaty smell will subside.

Mine smelled and tasted like pie spices for the entire 3 weeks it fermented. I had similar spice levels, and added at 5 from flameout. I wouldn't worry, cause there's nothing you can do but leave it in there and hope the yeast cleans it up. Anyway, 2 weeks is still a little early and some yeasts can make some crap smell until they are done.

Go get yourself a weyerbacher pumpkin - that is the good stuff there.

Well i threw it in my lagerator at 40, so we'll see what happens. I havent taken a taste yet.

Well well well good news... I was getting ready to dump the batch all over my back yard when I took a taste to find that it tasted mighty fine. I'm going to crash it again down to 32 tonight (mostly cuz I disturbed the settlement) and keg it tomorrow! SHAWING!!! I think that beefy smell may have been coming from the buckets top that was caked with damp yeast.

Excellent! Glad you gave it one last chance and tried it before dumping it. Enjoy!!

Kegged today, will probably be ready by thursday. Looked cloudy at 35, which makes sense since I did the whole no chill method. Nice color though, I'll take a pic when its ready to be tapped.

BEEEEEER
4115353627_0b7fc2f3b8_o.jpg

Anyways, It came out quite tasty, wish i had nutmeg, but with pumpkin spice and cinnamon it was still pretty good. Next year the boiling wont get effed up by lack of propane (knock on wood).

Back