Pitch more yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farrout

Reaction score
On my last beer I over hit my og, it was 1.064. I'm pretty sure I didn't pitch enough yeast. I put in a dry pack of nottingham. Anyway I'm a week and a half into the primary and my gravity as been stable at 1.022 for a few days and tasts way to sweet. Can I pitch another pack of nottinham or am I too late? A major problem is that I'm moving in 3 days. I was tinkin about keggin and hope I get some secondary activity but I'm not to sure. And ideas?

Mr Malty Pitching Rate Calculator

plug your numbers in this calculator. This will give you a good idea on how much yeast you should use.

That doesn't necessarily explain why you are at 1.022.

edit: to answer your question directly....you should bring your fermenter up to room temps and give it a good swirl. If you see no activity in a couple of days and no change in gravity I would pitch another pack of notty.

There are a lot of possible reasons for the 1.022.

What was your recipe and mash temp? If you mashed really high, you will have more unfermentable sugars, thus a higher FG.

I brewed ed worts pale ale, I kept the mash temp between 148 and 154, so I don't tink te problem is unfermentable sugars.

If the mash temps didn't go above 154 I would say that you could rule that out. What temp have you been fermenting at?

How long has it been at room temperature? Have you tried to agitate the bucket/carboy?

If not, that would be my next step. Then I would grab another package of notty and pitch it dry. :mug:

Edit: Did you have an active fermentation? How well did you aerate the before pitching?

I swirled the carboy to aerate, fermentation was pretty good, I've had better. If I pitch more should I aerate again?

I would repitch but don't aerate again. You don't want to oxidize the beer. You only want to aerate before fermentation begins.

I didn't think I should aerate, thats what common sense told me but I figured I should ask anyway. I repitched about an hour ago. Hopefully something good happens, but either way I'm gonna RDWHAH.

Back