Adding yeast at bottling...?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ceannt

Reaction score
I am getting ready to brew a Belgian Trappist style Dark/strong Ale. My research all points to the addition of yeast at bottling. The ratio of about one tenth of the yeast pitched for fermentation seems pretty consistent in the materials I have read. I am thinking about using dried yeast for this (T-58) for a little better control. I have never brewed this style before, so the whole concept of this yeast addition is a tad alien to me…
My question is; how is the best way to evenly distribute this small amount of yeast throughout the beer?
Should I re-hydrate and add it to the bottling bucket along with the dissolved priming sugar prior to siphoning from the fermenter?
I have heard that just putting 2 or three of the yeast “granules” in each bottle works, but dang, that sounds like one intense PITA…. And a good way to screw up by either missing a bottle or two and/or hitting some twice…. Plus, just the thought of separating out the little bitty granules (OK, just where did I put my bifocals?) without risking infection makes me want to slash my wrists.
Anybody have any first- hand experience with this?

if you are going to add yeast, I would do it this way...
boil your priming sugar, cool it to 90deg, add your yeast, let it rehydrate for 10min
pour it into the bottling bucket, and rack your beer into the bottling bucket, and fill!

Although I haven't added yeast at bottling YET, I've read that adding it to the secondary a couple days in advance is ideal. This way, they will finish up any fementables that may be left over and give you a more even carbonation. Maybe someone who does this can chime in.

if you are going to add yeast, I would do it this way...
boil your priming sugar, cool it to 90deg, add your yeast, let it rehydrate for 10min
pour it into the bottling bucket, and rack your beer into the bottling bucket, and fill!

This is exactly what I would do in the situation. However, I am lucky enough to have a small army of 19L stainless steel warriors in my keezer. So I rarely bottle.

Arkador, that is pretty much what I was thinking... thank you for the reasurrance.

schristian619, Hmmmm... that is an interesting idea.

I'm hoping to brew in the next week or so, it will be a couple of months (or more) until I bottle, so I have a bit of time to work it out.

Thank you all.

Back