Yeast Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris75

Reaction score
I am looking to save alittle money in this economy and I was going to re-use the yeast from the bottom of the primary. I have found many steps as it pertains to washing the yeast and storing.

The question I have is once racked to secondary and the sediment in the primary is left. Should I just scoop out the sediment and move that to a mason jar and then let it settle and then transfer it to smaller containers? Also once that is done. Would it be the same amount of liquid yeast I would normally use for a 5 gallon batch.

Thank you so much.

Saving yeast saves me tons of money! I have several strains in the fridge right now, and really like reusing it.

There are some better techniques than just scooping it out and saving it, though. You want to get rid of the trub (which can cause some off-flavors) and keep only the yeast. You always want to be not just sanitary, but overly so, if that makes sense. Take a look at this thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/yeast-washing-illustrated-41768/
that will really help with yeast washing and saving.

Saving yeast saves me tons of money! I have several strains in the fridge right now, and really like reusing it.

There are some better techniques than just scooping it out and saving it, though. You want to get rid of the trub (which can cause some off-flavors) and keep only the yeast. You always want to be not just sanitary, but overly so, if that makes sense. Take a look at this thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/yeast-washing-illustrated-41768/
that will really help with yeast washing and saving.

+1
This is a great technique. It's quick and easy and saves lots of money. Plus it allows me to have a variety of yeast at my disposal.

Once you wash the yeast, How long can they be kept in the fridge and still be viable?

I've kept and reused yeast for about a year or so. Always use a starter when you pull it out of the fridge. I've had great luck with all of the yeast I've washed and saved.

Back