What to expect in Fermentation FAQ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sunvalleylaw

Reaction score
Hi there. I am returning to brewing after a lay off of a few years. Is there a fermentation sticky that details what a typical fermentation process (ales particularly, as that is what most of us newbs brew) looks like over its typical course? I saw the "fermentation may take 3 days to start" sticky, but was interested in what you experienced guys typically see.

Got my CDA type beer up and brewing on Sat. night. Was active Sunday, and by Sunday night, needed a swap from an airlock to a blow off as the airlock wasn't moving enough air. Seems to be still off gassing slowly this morning, and has held pretty steady at around 70 degrees. A little warmer on Sunday, and a little cooler on Monday/tues. I have no reason to think anything is wrong and am going to let it keep on chugging for probably 10-14 days total then rack into a secondary and dry hop. The only worry was my OG was a bit high for one smack pack, and I did not have a starter prepared. Seemed to go off ok though.

Is there a fermentation sticky that details what a typical fermentation process (ales particularly, as that is what most of us newbs brew) looks like over its typical course?

No. But an FAQ in the Fermentation & Yeast forum is a damn good idea.

Edit: Your planned forecast is a good one. I would advise taking gravity readings at the end of your 14 day wait.

No. But an FAQ in the Fermentation & Yeast forum is a damn good idea.

Edit: Your planned forecast is a good one. I would advise taking gravity readings at the end of your 14 day wait.

yeah, seems a good idea to link one there, and maybe put a link in the beginner forum as we are the ones that worry more. That wiki looks helpful, but it seems an FAQ regarding what to expect in fermentation would be easier to find.

Back