how to clean root beer kegs/growlers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mellman

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
What luck has everyone had cleaning contianers used for root beer? I've tried starsan and PBW, and my Growler still smells like root beer. i even had a tap used on a root beer keg, now used on a beer keg...and the beer has a root beer flavor/odor. Heard stories from fellow brewers that its just impossible to get rid of...I can't believe it's that hard to get rid of!

In the past I've rinsed several times, then filled with hot water, some baking soda and let it sit for 24hours. Dump. If smell still there repeat. I've never had to repeat more than once and only once or twice had to do it twice.

I have some dedicated vinyl tubes, and racking canes for root beer. If you have older plastic equipment i would definatly use in place of newer beer equipment because it is damn near impossible to remove the odor. I also refuse to use bleach on my equipment so i cant vouch for its results but i do know OxyClean left odors behind, Not sure about flavors. I just got a new racking cane and hoseing. after all it is cheap and i will do root beer again so why not add a few more pieces of equipment.

I have some dedicated vinyl tubes, and racking canes for root beer. If you have older plastic equipment i would definatly use in place of newer beer equipment because it is damn near impossible to remove the odor. I also refuse to use bleach on my equipment so i cant vouch for its results but i do know OxyClean left odors behind, Not sure about flavors. I just got a new racking cane and hoseing. after all it is cheap and i will do root beer again so why not add a few more pieces of equipment.

It's more the kegs/growlers that concern me, and the taps. I had planned on having a single soda keg and soda tap...but I don't want my orange soda or cream soda to tsate like root beer too...

Oxyclean and new gaskets for the kegs is what I have done. Never had a problem with the stainless holding the smell past a good hot oxyclean soak.

Back