Firefox Add-ons: Favorites

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew-Happy

Reaction score
Everyone,

I wanted to start a thread to see what add-ons Firefox users are enjoying to see if there are some that I might like. Currently, there are thousands, so I do not want to browse all of them. Thought this might be quicker. Add this board is great about honest reviews :D

My favorites:

1. Foxytunes: Allows user to control any media player from the bottom of the browser screen! It works with Realplayer in the background. Neat feature found accidently: scrolling the mouse wheel over the controls adjusts the volume up and down!

2. Flashblock: Stops any Flash animations from downloading to screen. This is good for my slower connection! If you want to play it, just click the F in the screen! It has definitely sped up page loading.

Thanks

I have a few add-ons, I find them very useful and clears up the clutter on some websites.

2. Flashblock: Stops any Flash animations from downloading to screen. This is good for my slower connection! If you want to play it, just click the F in the screen! It has definitely sped up page loading.

awesome find! thanks for the suggestion!

FoxMarks rocks. Keeps your bookmarks synchronized between machines and you never lose them due to computer failure or operator error.

Tab Scope is another great add on for tab control. It gives you a thumbnail of what's in the tab when you hover your mouse over the tab.

IE Tab is another good one for those sites that refuse to work properly with FireFox.

PicLens is cool plugin for photo sites. It only works with certain sites, but if you haven't seen this yet, you have to check it out.

AdBlock is my main add-on. Sometimes I'll install webdev, but it is a memory hog, so it comes out when I'm done with a job.

I don't have to worry about flash. For some reason, my firefox 'thinks' it is stuck at flash 7. I've removed it long ago & tried installing flash 9, but it still reports flash 7.

I dont' use FF, I use Seamonkey (Mozilla), but I really like Mouse Gestures. I clicky back and forth. Keep comign with the add-ons! I might see more I like!

I use adblock, greasemonkey, the stumbleupon plugin to waste even MORE time, and User Agent Switcher. That last one is for making FireFox appear like a different browser to the requesting site.

Firenes. Play NES games through Firefox.

It's the only reason why I have firefox on my computer.

I've a bunch, but here are the few I use all the time.

Adblock Plus

All Your Maps Are Belong To Us
-Translates URLs for "other" mapping sites to Google Maps

Allow Right Click
-Defeats web site right click prevention scripts

BugMeNot
-Bypass compulsory web registration with the context menu via stored bugmenot.com user/passwords

DownloadThemAll
-Mass downloader for catching all files with specific extensions linked on a site, for uhhh research , yah, that's it

Flashblock
-Replaces flash objects with a button you click to view them (gets alot of ads that may be missed)

Plain Text Links
-Treats selected plain text URL links as HTML links, right click to open

Sage
-RSS feed aggregator

VideoDownloader
-Downloads videos from 60+ different flash video sites like youtube

Firenes. Play NES games through Firefox.

It's the only reason why I have firefox on my computer.

This is amazing!!
I won't download it in my office seeing as I want to FINISH my research :D

I would never graduate with this! Now at home... :)

FoxMarks rocks. Keeps your bookmarks synchronized between machines and you never lose them due to computer failure or operator error.

+1 for Foxmarks... If you download the beta add-on it even lets you keep your pron links from showing up on the work computer and your work links from showing up at home. But it syncs the rest. :rockin:

My must haves are Adblock w/ the Filterset.G Updater. The reset I prefer are Stubleupon, Better Gmail 2, Foxmarks, & Speed Dial.

I use Tab Mix Plus and DownThemAll.

I have to get FoxMarks though, that sounds perfect since I have a desktop PC and an apple laptop.

Under Linux, I've yet to get the Sirius Player add-on to work, but the MediaPlayerConnectivity add-on is a nice work around to get Sirius content on a Linux system.

I use gmail notifier and something that changes the so-called awesome bar back to a normal dropdown list. Unfortunately, I still get random links I click on stuck in the address bar like any other website I type into it. annoying.

IETab: Internet Explorer rendered within FF, great for web site development.
StumbleUpon: great for surfing
FireFTP: Great little ftp program in browser
Flashgot: works with Flashget or other download programs for one click download of multiple links
Firebug: Killer web development tool
EDITcss: edit the CSS file of ANY website in a sidebar

ad block blocks web ad's on websites
download helper nice app for downloading things such as youtube videos
IE tab this is for sites that require IE
forecastfox allows you to look at local or distant weather
foxmarks book mark syncing
noscript blocks web scripting
trackmenot protects data profiling

I use Iceweasel, which for all intents and purposes is Firefox.

ShowIP: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/590

This puts the IP addresses of sites in the bottom right hand corner, especially useful to see which sites have converted to IPv6 so that I can keep petitioning my damn ISP to adopt IPv6 rather than forcing me to tunnel...

Download Statusbar: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/26

Eliminates the download box and instead puts the downloads in a bar at the bottom... I love this one!

Greasemonkey: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/748

A plugin that does nothing by itself, but allows you to add small scripts that adjust the behavior of websites, adding new features or redseigned and so on. Specifically, I download a few things from Userscripts.org to make a browser game I play all the time better. :)

And, while not an add on, I'm running the Tango! theme to integrate Iceweasel 3 into Gnome better.

I just found a couple of really useful ones:

ImageBot is a really nice GUI for managing Imageshack and Photobucket images. There's a handy "upload clipboard" function, and it even includes a "template" system so that you can quickly copy and paste the image URL using bulletin board style markup. The screenshot below took me about 10 seconds to grab, upload, and post.

New Tab Homepage loads your homepage (instead of a blank page) whenever a new tab is opened.

QuickRestart gives you a hotkey and menu item to force a FireFox restart.

Custom Buttons is a really powerful extension that allows you to create buttons for the toolbar. I eliminated the bulky Bookmarks Toolbar by creating a couple of buttons that open commonly used pages. Create a button and type the text below into the code portion of it. Make an 18x18 pixel image for the button. This is just a simple example. There are far more powerful things you can do with custom buttons, and there are ready-made buttons available for download.
Code:
/*Code*/
/* Left click opens page in current tab */
/* Ctrl+left click opens page in a new tab */

openUILink("http://www.google.com/", event, false, true)

imagebf9.jpg

Not an add-on, but a great how-to for customizing the tool bar.

Geek to Live: Consolidate Firefox's chrome

My userChrome.css:

Code:
/*** Yuri's userChrome.css  ***/
@namespace url("http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul");

/* Remove menus (options are: file-menu, edit-menu, view-menu, go-menu, bookmarks-menu, tools-menu, helpMenu */
#helpMenu, #edit-menu, #view-menu, #history-menu { display: none !important; }

/* Remove Back button when there's no back option */
#back-button[disabled="true"] { display: none; }

/* Remove Forward button when there's no forward option */
#forward-button[disabled="true"] { display: none; } 

/* Remove Stop button when there's nothing to stop */
#stop-button[disabled="true"] { display: none; }

/* Eliminate the throbber and its annoying movement: */
#throbber-box { display: none !important; }

/* Remove the go button */
#go-button-stack, .search-go-button-stack { display: none !important;}

Back