American Strong Ale Arrogant Bastard clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewed this as-is (for the grains) as the original thread and it looks and tastes great. It's lighter than AB, but I'm sure I can fix that on the next time around with some darker malts.

This is a great recipe but no matter how much hops I use it's never as bitter as the original when I do a side by side. Not sure why that is, but it usually comes in more fruity than the original. I'm thinking I may need to try a different yeast next time

This is a great recipe but no matter how much hops I use it's never as bitter as the original when I do a side by side. Not sure why that is, but it usually comes in more fruity than the original. I'm thinking I may need to try a different yeast next time

How much and what type of hops have you used for bittering?

Made this per origanal poster recipe, OG:1.076 EG:1.014 for a 6.62%, My question is it seems pretty darn sweet and smells more fruity than anything, I fermented at 20.2 celcius for 14 days, My question is this,
Should I let it sit at 68 degrees for another week or is it finished, I kegged it, but can let it ferment out in keg, fo 1 more week,

Made this per origanal poster recipe, OG:1.076 EG:1.014 for a 6.62%, My question is it seems pretty darn sweet and smells more fruity than anything, I fermented at 20.2 celcius for 14 days, My question is this,
Should I let it sit at 68 degrees for another week or is it finished, I kegged it, but can let it ferment out in keg, fo 1 more week,

What is your final gravity?

You might want to try to dry it out more next time. I was following Tasty's recipe from Can You Brew It. I tried mashing at both 152 and 148. I was getting between 1.012 and 1.010. I preferred the lower finishing gravity. I think fruity is what it is supposed to be. I've had the original from a keg one time and it was the intense pineapple that really drew me to the beer.

I made this 4 times. I have sort of migrated on to recipes with less crystal malt and lighter SRM. I LOVE to have an Arrogant Bastard every once and a while, but I find that drinking a whole 5 gallon batch gets to be a bit much.

If you want to try to dry your's out for your next batch, lower mash, 148F (I guess I assumed you were doing all grain) oxygenate the heck out of it, pitch a large amount of yeast from a good starter, (I'd use the 1.25 pro ale setting on most calculators.) and ferment at a relatively high temp, 68-69 Fahrenheit.

I have brewed this several times, with variations anywhere from 1.100 to 1.080, and its great all the way around. I do prefer the double bastard though, so more often that not its been a higher OG.

I brewed this but used only crystal 120 as my only adjunct. It was pretty damn close to the original. Those chinook hops just beat the crap out of my tongue. It was heaven! :mug:
eschatz I’m curious Have you brewed and compared both your C120 recipe and the OP recipe?

I found this recipe on the internet somewhere, and I've made it in the past. If it's not spot on to the original, then it's pretty frickin close. I use pacman yeast to ferment this, but any dry or neutral yeast will work fine.

Grains

15.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row)
0.50 lb Aromatic Malt
0.50 lb Biscuit Malt
0.50 lb Caramunich Malt
0.50 lb Special B Malt

Hops
1.00 oz Chinook [13.00%] (60 min)
1.00 oz Chinook [13.00%] (45 min)
1.00 oz Chinook [13.00%] (2 min)

Mash in with 5.31 gallons of water to mash at 154º

Drain mash water
batch sparge once with 3 gallons of 180º water.
batch sparge again with 3 gallons of 180º water.

I am also including an xml sheet that can be imported into beersmith.

View attachment 6127
Think I’m going to brew a 5 gal batch of this and split 50/50 oaked and regular. My mouth is watering already.

Back