Bubble Tea Syrups?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daft

Reaction score
Has anyone tried to add bubble tea syrups to carbed water, such as sodastream? Foam volcano or affordable real fruit taste? Pretty tempting price per ounce and nice exotic flavors.

I saw econo jugs of Possmei Flavored Syrups can be subscribed to in Amazon, and have sugar and real fruit (or hibiscus) as major ingredients. If too much pulp, it can end up foamy. Or off taste, due to long trip from Taiwan?

holy **** can you help me make bubble tea? i know you have to buy the boba somewhere but how do you make the tea? do you brew tea then add certain powder? newbie here maybe i should make a new thread

Bubble (tapioca) tea can contain tea or not, milk or soy or not, but is always pretty sweet. If not carbonating, I would go with an instant thai tea mix which I love. You can substitute a healthy fermented coconut gel for the tapioca.

Or maybe try this hibiscus syrup... hibiscus flowers are made into tea before they get all brown and oxidized. Since bubble tea sometimes has milk added to it, I guess the fruit syrups aren't gonna have any tartness that could curdle it, so I will be prepared to add lemonade concentrate to my soda batch.

I had a spectacular success by combining a little sodastream natural ginger ale syrup with more of the natural Hibiscus bubble tea syrup below. It's a lot like white zinfandel wine... rose colored, where the zing of ginger is like the tang of alcohol.

50-356-large.jpg

At first I tried Hibiscus alone into the bubbly water, which was very strange and I couldn't analyze what it needed. But then I got an intuitive flash for ginger syrup (which was also awful alone or mixed with a bad Amoretti cola syrup I was trying to rescue). I hate it when I can't figure why something works, but just have to rediscover the exact ratio of what I put in by luck.

At first I tried Hibiscus alone into the bubbly water, which was very strange and I couldn't analyze what it needed.

I just tried one of their fruit based syrups, and it was NIRVANA! Had the tartness that hibiscus lacked.

It was one of theirs that is one third real fruit juice... I don't yet dare try ones like kiwi yet (yum) because it is only 1% real kiwi juice. I realize some fruits are gonna be to expensive to juice, but some of theirs has tons of apparently expensive juices. Still worthwhile mixing flavors to get the best balance of tartness to sweet, etc.

I will be on the lookout for other bubble tea syrup brands, but this is the supreme best so far on the sodastream. BTW the handle on this brand is too small to get a good grip for careful pouring - just grab the main body of it and pour into a tilted side of the bottle rather than into the carbed water or it may foam. And refrigerate before opening, because the delicious fruit fragments may trigger a foam volcano unless it has sat a bit.

I just tried one of their fruit based syrups, and it was NIRVANA! Had the tartness that hibiscus lacked.

Above comment was for blueberry, which was by far their best fruit flavor I tried. Flavor is hardly the word, because it is ONE THIRD actual blueberries which bob in tasty fragments in your drink. Apparently blueberries aren't a luxury in Taiwan, because this flavor isn't relatively expensive, esp with an amazon subscription. I remember similarly finding pure chunky blueberry juice in Budapest at econo cost, vs much of the world where you would pay a fortune for a watered down version.

I tried strawberry flavor which is over a QUARTER pure fruit. Taste was delicious, but it was too coarse of a mix of big berry parts and fluid. The berry parts just stay at the bottom or top and don't mix like the blueberry bits which happily tumble out in every pour. Sort of a strawberry jam... probably super excellent in a smoothie or over ice cream.

I tried passionfruit which was ONE THIRD actual juice. Hyper assertive flavor that seems faintly overripe, but I think that is normal. Most suitable as a side addition to zing up a bland flavor, but I never got it weak enough to not dominate. I tried all combinations of these three, but anything with strawberry failed due to it's watery/chunky inconsistency. They have a lot of other flavors, but some have minimal real fruit juice.

I tried their raspberry, which seems to be in short supply and is not available via discounted subscription. It is ecstasy in a bottle... no mixtures or adjustments needed for balance. The lightness, brightness, succulency, and wholesomeness makes you want to drink it more than your system can stand.

The concentration is 50% berry juice, with a few floating berries and some sinking seeds. The seeds (in a tasty fruit cell) tend to cling to the bottle bottom and promote foam. So I add chilled syrup to the side of the bottle into chilled carbed water, cap it quick before boilover, shake, and then suffer a long wait in the fridge to avoid a volcano on opening.

Sounds awesome!

I worked on a project in college that required a frozen raspberry juice concentrate. $50/gal for that stuff industrially. By contrast, a can of frozen apple juice concentrate is what, like $2 for 12oz, (~$20/gal) on the consumer level.

So, yeah, it doesn't surprise me that it's hard to come by.

Sounds awesome!

I worked on a project in college that required a frozen raspberry juice concentrate. $50/gal for that stuff industrially.
That is about their price per ounce... I just reordered in hopes of beating a major degradation of their formulas apparent in their last shipment of other flavors to me.

I got their formerly succulent blueberry, and mixed it with other red berry flavors and threw away the empty bottle with label... it tasted bad! I tried their red plum and had to throw it away... fruit juice content had fallen from advertised 20 down to 3% on my label. In all cases like kumquat the sugar or fructose listing had been primarily replaced by corn syrup and fruit content reduced. I am not a cornophobe like so many here, but it tasted like the old low fructose kind of corn syrup which tastes like paste or at least bad horchata (HFCS is tasteless, other than sweet).

Latest posts

Back