Added brett b to secondary fermentation and got no fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buck0185

Reaction score
Started a Saison with wyeast Belgian Saison yeast 3724 let ferment for three weeks starting @ 70 degrees incrementally raising the temp to 95 the fermentation got stuck at 1.030 which is typical for this yeast strand which is also why I kept bumping up the temp. Wanted the gravity a bit lower before I added to secondary with Brett b but it seemed it wouldn't drop any further. It's been in secondary for three weeks and the gravity has not budged with the Brett . This is my first time attempting to use Brett I was under the impression that Brett ate all sorts of sugars so I'm wondering why it has t started fermenting was my mash flawed to begin with?

To really get all the Brett characteristics you'll probably want to wait 4-6 months. I'm sure it'll finish the ferment by then too. I did the same as you but the primary didn't stall, I secondaried with Brett and some Chardonnay soaked oak chips for 6 months then bottled - tastiest beer I've ever done!
Oh, and 95 seems pretty hot, I'd drop it to 68-70. I ramped my primary slowely up to 86 then let it sit at ambient temp for the secondary.

lpdjshaw said:
To really get all the Brett characteristics you'll probably want to wait 4-6 months. I'm sure it'll finish the ferment by then too. I did the same as you but the primary didn't stall, I secondaried with Brett and some Chardonnay soaked oak chips for 6 months then bottled - tastiest beer I've ever done!
Oh, and 95 seems pretty hot, I'd drop it to 68-70. I ramped my primary slowely up to 86 then let it sit at ambient temp for the secondary.

Even after three weeks shouldn't there be a little activity with Brett I'm not getting a bubble or even a slight decrease in my gravity reading

you generally won't really notice brett activity as a secondary yeast aside from occasional blip or a pellicle if there is enough oxygen exposure. at that high of a stall you may get a slight krausen tho. just give it some time and it'll get you there

yeah, i've gotten a lot of flavor out of a secondary with brett but only 1 or 2 gravity points. brew another batch and forget about this one until it's been sitting for another two months.

Back