Different carbonation levels between bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madrean

Reaction score
howdy, long time no post.

i was wondering if anyone had input regarding unven cabonation (between bottles).

when i go from secondary back to the old bucket with my carbonating solution, i've always wondered if there's enough time for the sugar solution to completely disperse throughout the 5 gal of brew?

i've noticed that some bottles have a little more carbonation bite than others and was wondering if maybe they were bottled at the end, meaning maybe there was more sugar down there in the bottom of the bucket...

thx

It's possible, but as long as you're putting the sugar solution in the bottling bucket first, and then siphoning the beer onto it, it should be pretty thoroughly mixed. I'd be more inclined to think it was a sealing issue with your caps/capper.

well i guess what's interesting is that i've never had a beer i've made have too low a carbonation, just noticed that occasionally i get a bottle with those "big" carbonation bubbles, kinda like you see in a soda. others have those nice beautiful tiny bubbles..

The most beautiful tiny little bubbles that I've ever seen have come from bottles which weren't sufficiently sanitized. The bubbles were gorgeous! Almost like from a nitrogen/CO2 mix.... lol

I'd bet it has something to do with aging. Some bottles are a touch warmer than others and reach a certain point sooner. The bubbles definitely improve with age, imho.

Back