step mashes-is this possible ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gabe

It's a sickness!
Reaction score
I have a converted 15.5 gal keg with Sabco false bottom and siphon for my MLT. I was thinking that I could buy another false bottom, for pils and lagers, and drill another hole in it for a seconed siphon and go to a pump from that coupler and then back to the top of my MLT. I built my brewstand with a 35,000 btu burner under my MLT for this very reason. I could fire the burner after my protien rest and start circulating until I reach my next step. The reason for this is because I can't reach below my false bottom with a paddle to keep from scorching the sugar water. Do you guy's and gals think this will work ? Is HSA a concern ? Let me know what you think.
:mug: Cheers

I've done this with a turkey pot, so you should be ok with a keg. Low flame & keep the end of the return line in the wort to avoid splashing.

gabe, I'm not sure I follow you. Why would you need the 2nd false bottom? You should be able to use the one you've got and just attach the pump "in" to the valve and the "out" back to the top of the mash. If you're recirculating while you're heating then you won't have any scorching. Just keep the heat low.

Have you seen the brutus setup? That's basically what he does with that bad ass system. http://www.alenuts.com/brutus.htm

The seconed false bottom would be for pils and lagers, it would have 2 holes and 2 siphons. 1 for drain and 1 for the pump. The other false bottom would be just for doing ales, where step mashing would not be of concern. ie: using them at diff times, not using both for 1 brew session. I would just put a SS plug in when not using the pump.

Sorry, I still don't see why the one you're using fight now wouldn't work for ANY style. Again, just hook up the pump to the drain valve - no need for 2 holes and 2 siphons. Did you look at the link to the brutus setup?

I see what your sayin now... I just need to invest in some quick connects and away I go. Thanks for the link.
Cheers

Back