milling question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roylee

Reaction score
I've searched this thread and don't find a discussion on what I'm wondering about. Some years ago I read (I think Papazian) advice to never mill grain in the same room the boil and mash took place, so I haven't. (Supposedly malt dust contains something that would spoil the wort.) Now I'm building a sculptured setup in a small, one-room shed. I'd like to mount and motorize my mill a few feet from where the boil will take place. Is dust-in-the-air from milling in the brew room thing a valid concern?

The dust from grain milling IS a huge concern. You should never mill where you ferment because of the risk of lactobacillus. I don't seen an issue with mashing where you mill, though. I mean, the mash IS the grain, right? So more grain by the MLT shouldn't be an issue at all. It's pre-boil.

It's anything post-boil that you want to keep away from your grain/grain dust.

Seeing as how you mash boil and then cool in the same area I would not mill near that area. Mill in the front yard and brew in the back, or vise versa.

Thanks... it would have been convenient as the mill I like weighs 40 lbs, but will continue to use it outside.

I've been milling in the same room as my carboys. But i brew out back and fill the carboy and pitch and cap it out side then carry it in to my freezer to chill at 65*

I'm with autoferret, I mill and ferment in the same room. I do the same as him though and brew/chill/fill the carboys in my garage before carrying them to said room. never had a problem. I am, however, building an all out brew room in my basement where everything will be done in one room. I built a cabinet for my mill and plan to put a hook up for my Shopvac to help keep dust to a minimum. that paired with the ventilation hood going over the brew pots should help me avoid any problems with dust, atleast in my mind. We shall see in a couple months!
Tom

Back