Convert 10 gallon keg into conical

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smokinghole

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 10g firestone keg which is pretty much useless. Nothing off the shelf fits and I don't feel like customizing it to work for serving. So I was thinking about fitting a 12" cone/hopper to the bottom with a dump valve and bolting legs onto the lip that forms the bottom.

I know toledo metal spinning makes the diameter I need but I was wondering if anyone else knew other companies. I found one but they're even more than toledo. I only need the sloped cone portion not really much in the way of volume since I tend to do 6g batches and this 10g keg should give me plenty of head space.

For the top I was considering just getting it sliced off and rounded or have a lip made on it. Then I would use a thick piece of acrylic/plexi with a routed channel for an Oring or something to seal. I could helicoil possibly a corny ball lock gas fitting and a lid blow off valve into the plexi. There'd be a setup for blow off also.

I'm sort of doing this more as a feeler post and to see if you guys know of other sources for some parts I'd need. I looked through Yuri's whole conical DIY but all the links are defunct now except toledo metal spinning.

I need to call a friend who used to run a machine shop. He has said to me in the past if I need any machining work to let him know because a friend owes his some favors. So the welding and such should be easy to get done as I can't weld stainless. My metal and heat skills go about as far as soldering with butane torch.

You can use it "as is" for a fermenter. I have two that I use all the time. I pulled out the dip tubes, took off one of the pin lock connectors and use a short (2") piece of hose attached to an airlock. I do 10 gallon batches in them all the time. Their is a little headroom even with 10 gallons. If needed, I use a blow off tube.

Those things sell for a pretty penny. Sell it, and put the money toward a true conical, if that's what you're after.

This won't sell for a pretty penny. Highest I saw one go was $80. They're utterly obsolete. If you know someone who will make it worth selling I'm all ears. All it's good for is holding liquid at this point.

I'll be using it as is for the time being as a fermenter but was looking for low cost hopper/funnel producers.

Latest posts

Back