should I buy a stainless steel or copper wort chiller?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andysam

Reaction score
I want to buy a wort chiller (immerson), what is the best to go with?
I know that a steel one is stronger, but a copper chills better.

How much better does copper chill?
I want to chill 10 gallons, and looking to brew once or twice a week. (Sharing the equipment with people.)

Stronger? Has anyone ever broken a copper wort chiller, without doing something stupid to it?

I'd go with copper. If you ever decided you want to re-shape it because you got a new, larger diameter kettle or something, you will have a much easier time unrolling and re-rolling copper than steel.

Stainless.
Lower maintenance.
No oxide to contend with every time you use it.
Prettier too.

I wouldn't think it matters much, Stainless is lower maintenance than copper as its going to stay shiny and all whereas the copper will dull.

I was quite surprised how quickly I was able to chill 10 gallons last night with a little 3/8" by 25' copper. 20 minutes from a boil to 75

Both will work, depends on your budgetary constraints and aesthetic preferences

Cost being equal, I would go stainless just because of the lack of oxidation. I usually dip my copper chiller in starsan and rinse off before putting it in the boil. I dont like putting a dingy looking chiller into the wort and pulling it out shiny. I would rather put it in shiny. I have a 3/8" 25 foot stainless chiller, but it just doesnt do the job quick enough, so I built a 1/2" 50 foot copper one.

I put a dull copper chiller in my wort and pull out a dull copper chiller.
I give no poops how shiny it is. It chills great and gets a good rinse afterwards and put away.

Copper is a better conductor then steel, so it will conduct
the cool water temperature better and there for cool the
Wart faster for a more clear brew. BTW if you chiller is
dull when it goes in and comes out shinier its not good, when
its dull it has contaminates on it and those contaminates have
go some where (ie in your brew).

I had a copper one and just went to stainless. As far as thermal transfer, stainless is also pretty good. Your water temperature is far more important.
I went stainless because of the cleaning issues above, and the bling factor.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Home Brew mobile app

Both cool wort. My SS one was s gift from my wife for my birthday. Works better than the ol' ice bath.

I have both and I can't really tell a discernible difference in their effectiveness. I'm sure if you sat down and got scientific about it one would outperform the other but I'm sure it would only be evident in such a setting.

I use both at the same time now, one is in an ice bath while the other is in the wort. So even if one is better than the other I'm still reaping some of those benefits.

Back