8-8-08 Belgian sour ale.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryanh1801

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WL 500
Yeast Starter
yes big one
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
Brett B.
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
120 days
Tasting Notes
8.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) Bel (3.0 SRM) Grain 46.1 %
8.00 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 46.1 %
2.20 oz Hallertauer, New Zealand [8.50%] (60 min)Hops 50.6 IBU
1.00 oz Styrian Goldings [5.40%] (30 min) Hops 11.2 IBU
0.50 oz Hallertauer, New Zealand [8.50%] (30 min)Hops 8.8 IBU
1.00 oz Styrian Goldings [5.40%] (15 min) Hops 7.2 IBU
0.75 oz Tettnang [4.50%] (30 min) Hops 7.0 IBU
1.00 oz Saaz [4.00%] (5 min) Hops 2.2 IBU
0.50 oz Styrian Goldings [5.40%] (5 min) Hops 1.5 IBU
1.35 lb Turbinado (10.0 SRM) Sugar 7.8 %

After primary fermentation add another 1 pound of turbinado sugar to wort, along with a big starter of Brett B.

Beer is amazingly complex, not really sure what beer style it would be, but it, is amazing. It was more an experiment to push the limits of brewing a belgian beer with lots of hops and still get some belgian flavors out of it.

what temp did you ferment at? Damn this is 11.5%ABV... how much alcohol heat do you taste

what temp did you ferment at? Damn this is 11.5%ABV... how much alcohol heat do you taste

Around 75 or so, yeah it still has a little alcohol flavor to it. You really have to watch how much of this stuff you drink, but its really complex.

anything you would change? ive been looking for a sour recipe to try and im thinking this one looks pretty good although i dont have alot of experience with brett.

anything you would change? ive been looking for a sour recipe to try and im thinking this one looks pretty good although i dont have alot of experience with brett.

Honestly I can not think of anything I would change to this one, I was really happy how this one turned out. I would not call this you run of the mill sour beer though, it has a different flavor profile from most sour beers.

How would this compare to a Jolly Pumpkin beer or Orval? I think Brett B is the strain that is used in secondary fermentation, and I want to know how it presents itself when used in primary fermentation.

I'm thinking about brewing this, what's the WL500? It's not showing up in BTP for me.

A buddy of mine and I are brewing a 10g (33lb grain bill) Belgian strong dark ale tomorrow and we're both fermenting with WLP550. Its going to be a monster already, but he's gonna toss it onto a WLP655 sour mix in the secondary to make it a strong/sour hybrid, while mine will stay the course. I'm anxious to taste the differences between the two.

A buddy of mine and I are brewing a 10g (33lb grain bill) Belgian strong dark ale tomorrow and we're both fermenting with WLP550. Its going to be a monster already, but he's gonna toss it onto a WLP655 sour mix in the secondary to make it a strong/sour hybrid, while mine will stay the course. I'm anxious to taste the differences between the two.

Awesome way to do it! I have a old ale going right now, 4G with 1056 and 7G with wyeast 9096. Have about 11 months aging ahead but smells amazing!

Back