Force carbing chilled or room temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdf191

Reaction score
What are the problems/ advantages to c02 carbing at chilled or room temperatures. The reason I am asking is because I am thinking about getting a third corny for beer storage...but my fridge only fits 2 at a time. Can I carb this keg and keep it out of the fridge so all I will need to do when I want it is chill and serve.
I know that when a liquid warms up it will release co2. So should I 1) carb this beer at fridge temps then take it out. or 2) Carb out of the fridge. Will either of these approaches work better or will the carbonation change when the beer is chilled again?

Also... I normally carb with my c02 in the fridge. So it is cold as well. Does this change anything?

The carbonation will change when it chills again. basically It will have very little. I carbed my first keg at room temp and it was horrid. 40psi for 10 days or so before it was carbed. And it still went flat very fast if it was served warmer. Once it was chilled it poured a great head but only stayed carbonated for a few minutes.

The carbonating mechanics aren't any different for having your CO2 in the fridge. However, the bottle will have a shorter lifespan because the CO2 is more dense. I'm too lazy to look up the properties of CO2 to figure out what magnitude of effect it would have but if you consider that 70 F ~= 21 C and 45 F ~= 7 C there's a 200% difference between room and refrigerated temperatures. Pretty significant.

The carbonating mechanics aren't any different for having your CO2 in the fridge. However, the bottle will have a shorter lifespan because the CO2 is more dense. I'm too lazy to look up the properties of CO2 to figure out what magnitude of effect it would have but if you consider that 70 F ~= 21 C and 45 F ~= 7 C there's a 200% difference between room and refrigerated temperatures. Pretty significant.

The amount of CO2 isn't changing, though. Even if there is a difference (likely minute) in its density, you still have the same amount of CO2.

To the OP; if you took the CO2 bottle out of the fridge, would you have room for all three kegs? Best to carb with the beer cold, and you should be able to find a safe spot on the fridge to drill a hole and run the CO2 line outside.

Hold on... For the carbonation process itself, volumes is volumes. It doesn't matter if it was done at 32F or 90F. Once you remove the gas and change the temp, the volumes will stay the same. Temperature only affects the pressure required to reach said volumes.

Where the temp/pressure matters is when you decide you want to serve it. Obviously you can't serve at 40PSI. When you're ready to move your 70F carbonated beer into a serving fridge, you disconnect the gas and chill it down to the new temp. Now you set the regulator to the pressure it WOULD have taken to get to the volumes you want and you're good to go.

I'll throw 40psi on a keg that I just racked into and store it in the basement for a couple weeks while I'm waiting for a keg to kick. If I anticipate one of my serving kegs getting light, I'll leave 40psi on the room temp keg for a couple days to get me closer to a full carb by the time I stick it in the kegger. Of course, I have two tanks.

Back