Help evaluate my crush

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nobeerinheaven

Reaction score
I've got a corona mill that I'm trying to dial in. Any input appreciated.

Crush 001.JPG

Crush 002.JPG

Crush 003.JPG

Not bad, but yes I'd go a little smaller. Ever thought about conditioning your grain?

Not bad, but yes I'd go a little smaller. Ever thought about conditioning your grain?

I'd read a reference to it here, but no, I had not previously thought about it. I take it you recommend the practice?

Would it be OK to condition tonight and brew tomorrow (i.e. does that affect the grain's freshness)?

I'd read a reference to it here, but no, I had not previously thought about it. I take it you recommend the practice?

Would it be OK to condition tonight and brew tomorrow (i.e. does that affect the grain's freshness)?

Yes I recommend it. It's pretty simple and almost always increases your efficiency. Also, you can condition the grain tonight and crush tomorrow. Just make sure that you cover the grain overnight.

Keep tightening until you've gone too far, then dial it back just enough. The size of the husk pieces is what you're looking at; you need to have those big pieces of husk to act as a filter. Conditioning helps you crush even finer without shredding the husks. Braukaiser.com has a great write-up on the process.

Same here.
0.035 is my sweet spot, good efficiency and no circulation issues on my HERMS with false bottom made from keg top, I am also conditioning..
I could try to tighten it a bit but I wouldn't go lower than 0.030, at least with my equipment.

As for your crush, you can tighten it some more (depending on your FB). Get yourself feeler gauges, they are not that expensive and you'll be able to set it precisely.

He has a corona mill. No numbers to set. Buying feeler gauges would defeat the purpose of buying a cheap mill. Just keep playing with it until it looks right.

With my corona I grind the crap out of it. I have a ton of flour but a couple of big handfuls of rice hulls work wonders. Sadly I do not think conditioning the grain will help me either since I have stone wheels on mine

Back