Can this be sanitized???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwk1972

Reaction score
I'm about to do my first brew tomorrow and got to looking for a stock pot to use as it seems mine has gone missing. My neighbor has a 30qt but it was last used to fry a turkey and now that I think about it I think it's aluminum. It is pretty well crusted on the bottom and is going to take a fair amount of elbow grease to get clean. Now for the questions...
1.) Can I even use this if it is aluminum because I've seen alot of talk about that being a "no no".
2.) if I can use it does anyone know what would work best for getting this crap(grease I assume) off the sides and bottom? I was going to put a 50/50 solution of water and vinegar and
Boil it to see if that works but figured I'd check here first.

Is this a bad idea? Do I just need to go shopping? Thanks!

Personally and I could be wrong,I think you are on your way of making turkey beer. Sorry

Aluminum is nothing to worry about, but I'm with G101. Turkey Pale ale does not appeal to me, either. You'd want to really clean it out. Or, for the few bucks for a new one... get a new one.

B

I boiled some shrimp last night and the pot had some dried up grease on the bottom from a turkey being fried in it. I put a little water in it and got it boiling to try and clean it. I got it boiling and let it boil for a little while and also help the lid down tight with my hands to try and get some steam and pressure in the pot. It ended up working and cleaned it pretty well. Try boiling some water and maybe some other cleaning solution in it and try to steam it out. Its worth a try.

Few tips on cleaners here, but you're not the first person to use an ex-turkey fryer (I use a cooker as well, but it was brand new, so no inherited scrubbing).

Barkeepers Friend is amazing stuff, bet that it would work well. Then boil some water to oxidize the aluminum again, and I would think that you'd be in business!

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/turkey-fryer-kettle-boil-kettle-38056/

I would scrub it out ruthlessly. After, I would get a boil going (just water), turn the heat off, let it cool some and see if you either see oil floating on top or taste anything odd... If not, I would think you would be okay.

I certainly would not want turkey beer either! I can get it clean with scrubbing (or maybe napalm), I just thought I remembered hearing somewhere that aluminum was not good to use for some reason. Didn't think about Bartenders friend... great stuff!

It's a fair concern, but easily remedied by a quick boil to oxidize the pot.

Here is a great link, for when you're scrubbing arm needs a break :). The part on brewpots is almost the bottom of the first page, but the other items are worth reading as well.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/vs-pro-con-analysis-109318/

By the way- I looked at the label on my bottle of barkeeper's friend, doesn't really mention aluminum either way. So then I looked here, and it seems OK- if it were me, I might start on the outside of the pot, see if turns purple/smokes/otherwise looks unpleasant. http://www.soapsgonebuy.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=BKF1001&Show=ExtInfo

I dumped some Oxi (well, Sun Oxygen Cleaner) into mine and let it soak for a while. Got all the crusted on stuff off. I washed it a few times after that with regular dishsoap and rinsed it several times to make sure all the cleaners were out of it. Then I filled it and boiled water for about an hour to build up the oxidation layer. Brewed a batch in it last week that at the very least tasted good from the gravity sample prior to fermentation.

Back