brewing random fruit beers newbie

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

face

Reaction score
hey im new as

have been brewing standard kit beer for years and have just started making mead (honey wine) and hard apple cider

but i like the quickness of beer and am thinking about making random fruit beers like carrot beer and tomoto beer for a chistmas present wheree my family can sit around trying a heap of random beverages possibly throwing up haha

now because im more familiar with making kit beer which is almost full proof and have just started making mead im not really sure what i will need in a few areas

now making carrot beer is probably going to taste like arse but please try to look past the obvious and give me constructive critisusim would be helpfull

now first off, the only yeast i have purchase seperatly from beer kit, is a basic wine yeast, can i use that or do i need a beer yeast specifically to get a fast fermentaition (1 week, 2 weeks bottled etc)? i understand how to use the hydrometer and how to make the sugar content enough, how to rack etc.

i just want to chuck some carrots and in a batch some tomatos in another, maybe another batch of potatos, chuck them in a juicer, chuck this in a fermenter, check the sugar content add sugar if required, add water maybe some yeast nutrient (or rasin/sutlana mix instead) and brew for a week, bottle for 2 weeks and have a funny christmas

i want to make something interesing and simple and different(as natural as possible with out using wild yeast etc) Im not into adding a ton of chemicals and time

please give advise

thanks heaps

no but i have read some online results, very promising

obviously yeast can make alcohol and carbon dioxide out of anything with sugar

thing i don't understand is why beer takes 3 weeks and wine takes a year.

like i understand there is aging and clearing and racking etc, so can i just do the same process with beer as wine but cut out the entire end process and just bottle the finished ingredients after a week ( or when it finishes ferminting ) (maybe freeze it to kill all further slow fermintaion) and then obviously there is sedemant and things but then its just like home brew beer and you just have to watch when pouring

you might want to check out the directions for pumpkin ale and substitute carrots; Basically you cut the flesh out of the pumpkin and lake it at a certain temp for a certain time to caramelize and break down the fibers. Of course, the spices are what really give pumpkin its flavor. Perhaps add some light belgian candi sugar?

Back