RIMS HERMS ebay PUMP

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Link works if you copy and paste it. If it was me I'd just save until I could afford $50 more for a march or chugger. There aren't many details about the type of plastic, and I doubt the head is food safe.

That 11L/min is at zero head pressure. Outlet ID is only 6.5mm (1/4"). the head pressure once you add it to a typical system will likely reduce it's capacity a lot. 24v power requirement? The thing looks to be the size of a human fist where a march is quite a lot larger.

Think I would pass.

There aren't many details about the type of plastic, and I doubt the head is food safe.

from the listing:

7. Food standard material as requested

regardless (like the others said) I would still spend the extra money and get a more solidly built pump. This thing might choke and die as soon as some grain particles enter it. It's meant for water only, and not thick wort with particles in it.

If you decide to try it and it works, that would be awesome, and I'm sure others would want to know about it.

from the listing:

7. Food standard material as requested

regardless (like the others said) I would still spend the extra money and get a more solidly built pump. This thing might choke and die as soon as some grain particles enter it. It's meant for water only, and not thick wort with particles in it.

If you decide to try it and it works, that would be awesome, and I'm sure others would want to know about it.

I must have skipped right over it. My bad!

I use a pump just like that for the water intercooler on my car. You can source them from the junkyard out of most German cars( BMW /vw/Mercedes) they pump hot coolant into the interior heater core. Usually made by Bosch. I got mine for $10. They are usually 12volt, they do pump a lot for their size. I would say close to 2 gal a minute But I never measured. They use 5/8 hose if it matters.

thanks folks.

so where is the best place/price for a good (moderately priced) pump?

Define "moderately priced".

For high temp, the starting point is the Chugger Pump, which is a knock-off of the March 809. But, I have not seen any Chuggers for sale in the last few months. I think they run around $100 or so, but am not sure.

Then there is the March 809, running about US$125.

Some folks have been using the Little Giant 2-MD. Those used to be available for like $65, but their prices have gone up considerably recently. Cheapest I can find one now is $99. http://www.google.com/products/cata...&ei=8QWCTez6EKOP0QHV_Z3GCA&ved=0CGgQ8wIwBjgy#
But note that the 2-md's temp rating is only like 150... but SOME people have been using them anyway, so... take that for what it's worth.

Back