Who's smoking meat this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Two racks of wings.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1402075935.842531.jpg

We're still in fire restrictions until the rain comes (likely ~4th of July and beyond), so no WSM use for me. :eek:

I have to cater a lunch on Monday for ~50 people. They've requested my pulled pork. Yeah, this'll be fun with no smoker. :(

We're still in fire restrictions until the rain comes (likely ~4th of July and beyond), so no WSM use for me. :eek:

I have to cater a lunch on Monday for ~50 people. They've requested my pulled pork. Yeah, this'll be fun with no smoker. :(

Wow, no grillin' nor smokin'? With how contained the WSM is I really do not see how it could start a fire, then again I do not really live in wildfire country like you do.
You can't even do it on a basketball court? Geez, thats no fun. I will eat a few extra ribs for you.

Wow, no grillin' nor smokin'? With how contained the WSM is I really do not see how it could start a fire, then again I do not really live in wildfire country like you do.
You can't even do it on a basketball court? Geez, thats no fun. I will eat a few extra ribs for you.

No charcoal at all. :(

I could probably use my Weber natural gas grill with wood chip pouches, but that's too much work.

I keep meaning to drag the WSM over to the fire station and ask if using it would really be illegal....

Also thought about just setting it up in my garage, but I'm guessing smoke coming out of the garage door cracks will attract some attention. :p

No charcoal at all. :(

I could probably use my Weber natural gas grill with wood chip pouches, but that's too much work.

I keep meaning to drag the WSM over to the fire station and ask if using it would really be illegal....

Also thought about just setting it up in my garage, but I'm guessing smoke coming out of the garage door cracks will attract some attention. :p

Those B*stards! Firefighters are good people. Give em a call, don't really need to drag the smoker there unless you are going to feed them. Heck bring them some pork if they give you the thumbs up. They should be able to give you a answer over the phone. You may have to talk with the Fire Marshall instead as they know the law better. I hope they give you the green light because without charcoal smoked foods, it really isnt any happiness.

Maybe electric????

I plan on doing some pulled pork tomorrow. My dad is coming in town. Might rope him into helping me bottle some C3C as well!!! :mug

So with a bowl full of ice, the grate stays in the low 80's. We'll see how it goes...

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1402139311.362735.jpg

I have one of those A-Maze-N cold smoke tubes and it's working great. Only about 15 pellets are lit at a time and with the ice it stays cool enough. Then again, if I didn't do it in the middle of the day it would probably be easier.

Got a big batch of andouille ready to smoke Monday night. Wish I could find some fresh casings nearby...

Unless you're getting them straight from a butcher, they are not fresh anywhere. I bought "fresh" from an Italian grocery, and when I picked them up in water, they said they come salt packed to them, and they soak and rinse.

So, ever since then, If I find them salt packed, I pick up 2-3 of them and toss them in the fridge. They essentially will last forever.

Unless you're getting them straight from a butcher, they are not fresh anywhere. I bought "fresh" from an Italian grocery, and when I picked them up in water, they said they come salt packed to them, and they soak and rinse.

So, ever since then, If I find them salt packed, I pick up 2-3 of them and toss them in the fridge. They essentially will last forever.

That's been pretty much my experience as far as trying to locate fresh ones. I'm glad to hear the salted ones will last awhile in the fridge reconstituted; I've always been scared to keep them past a few weeks.

That's been pretty much my experience as far as trying to locate fresh ones. I'm glad to hear the salted ones will last awhile in the fridge reconstituted; I've always been scared to keep them past a few weeks.

I had some in the fridge for maybe 6 months or longer. Pulled them out, rinsed with warm water, soaked in warm water 3-4 times, and flushed them before stuffing. Turned out excellent!!!

DSC_0030 logo IG.jpg

DSC_0043.jpg

Brat n beer.jpg

Am planning on doing a BB rib smoke today. First time on ribs. I have a WSM and am wondering if the 2-2-1 and wrapping type of process is really all that necessary. I like my ribs dry, am lazy, and have learned to not open my smoker when cooking so really do not want to futz with them as much as possible. What say you all of the delicious looking food?

I'm with you. I've always done the 2-2-1 way with wrapping, but next time I'll just do it without wrapping. I'll just leave them untouched until they're done.

Here's the smoked Mac n cheese recipe that finsfan posted. My German friends literally destroyed the pan....

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1402245411.871953.jpg

This recipe you speak of, happened to have a post number for that one? You all got me really curious on the smoked mac and cheese and fatties. Not that much blood pressure isn't already high enough. :mug:

Post 2260

IMO, I would have taken it off sooner than 1 hour. I used apple wood and 1 hour was just a smudge too much, but like I said, my German friends loved it. Each one had thirds.

Am planning on doing a BB rib smoke today. First time on ribs. I have a WSM and am wondering if the 2-2-1 and wrapping type of process is really all that necessary. I like my ribs dry, am lazy, and have learned to not open my smoker when cooking so really do not want to futz with them as much as possible. What say you all of the delicious looking food?

I have always done the 2-2-1 method, never tried it without wrapping them. I have found that I really do a 2-1.5-until they look good for baby backs. 2 hrs wrapped is a touch too much in my opinion.

Try it! Let us know how it turns out.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Well. They are great. I will say that much.
I had some trouble, my temp probe was all over the place. 4 hours where temps went high for a bit and still couldn't get them right. Tented with apfelwein for an hour. And it ended up pretty tasty.

1402270855457.jpg

I did some wings, beans, and ribs today but I failed to capture the picture on the smoker. *fail*

I did mesquite and pecan on my UDS. Even though I missed the before pic, I did capture an after. ...

1402273613553.jpg

I made two racks of baby-back ribs on Saturday on the WSM. It was my first time ever doing ribs and they turned out fantastic. They were very easy to do. I made a basic rub and brushed on apple juice every 45 - 60 minutes for a total cook time of 4 hours. Wife really enjoyed these much more than the chicken last weekend, and I have to agree. Next up is stuffed tenderloin if I can find it on sale for a decent price...

IMG_0430.jpg

I made two racks of baby-back ribs on Saturday on the WSM. It was my first time ever doing ribs and they turned out fantastic. They were very easy to do. I made a basic rub and brushed on apple juice every 45 - 60 minutes for a total cook time of 4 hours. Wife really enjoyed these much more than the chicken last weekend, and I have to agree. Next up is stuffed tenderloin if I can find it on sale for a decent price...

You might consider rolling the full rack in a ring, like this. That way you don't need to cut the rack and you can get up to 4 full racks on the bullet.

You might consider rolling the full rack in a ring, like this. That way you don't need to cut the rack and you can get up to 4 full racks on the bullet.

I used to do that (twice, in fact) until I manned-up and got myself a rib rack. There's no going back once you have one.

Latest posts

Back