Fermcap-S

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I used Fermcap for the first time in my last brewday. I was using my trusty old system, with 6.5 gallons in a 7.5 gallon pot, so tried the Fermcap. Not only did I not get a boil over, I never got much foam at all! I used it according to the package directions- 2 drops per gallon, I believe.

But, yesterday, I forgot to add it to my starter in my Erlenmeyer flask. THAT boiled over on my stove. :drunk:

For those of you who have used Fermcap with sucess, how much do you add to the boil? I don't need it for fermentation, as I never have blow-offs, but I HAVE managed to boil over a 5 gallon batch in a keggle. Indoors. What a mess! I'd like to be able to start with 12 gallons in the keggle and not have it all over my laundry room floor!

The first beer I used Fermcap on was kegged Monday, so I'll be able to start checking foam stability in a day or so.

I use a combination of Fermcap (actually a food grade de-foamer equivalent) and throttling back my burner. About 10 drops in an 12 gallon boil is sufficient for me to get the hot break to roll into the boil. I've used Fermcap for ~ one year with no noticeable affect on foam height in the finished beer

It depends on the actual defoamer you are using, but I too use the Fermcap-S brand. I just add small amounts until my boil is under control. I have no idea how much it ends up being.

I use it in the fermenter too and have no head loss at all that I can tell. I started using it a couple years ago and haven't looked back.

Here is a very nice rich IPA brewed with Fermcap-S:
Saint_Simon_II.JPG

and the lacing of an American wheat:
262_Suburban_Wheat_2565_08_III.JPG

262_Suburban_Wheat_2565_08_IV.JPG

I used it 2 weeks ago to control a 9 gallon boil in a 10 gallon pot. I added it on an "Oh ****! need moar foam control right now! basis" and it worked very well. The krausen in the fermentor appears to be very robust so it doesn't seem to carry over to the fermenter very well (which is good). I like the product.

Back