muscadine wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Medicaldawg

Reaction score
Hello and welcome to this thread. I need all the help I can get on this one. Ive got approximately 1/2 to 3/4 of 5 gallon bucket of muscadines. I want to turn this into wine. I need some input on how to do this ie the best yeast amount of sugar OG readings anything you can think of all help will be rewarded with a hearty thank you:)

I just started my first muscadine wine two weeks ago, a 1-gallon batch. Used this recipe from Jack Kellers web site. I'm new to wine making so not sure what help I can give.

MUSCADINE GRAPE WINE (1)
• 6 lbs ripe Muscadine Grapes
• 2-1/4 lbs granulated sugar
• 3 qts water
• 1 tsp pectic enzyme
• 1 tsp yeast nutrient
• 1 crushed Campden tablet
• 1 packet Montrachet wine yeast
Boil the water and dissolve the sugar in it. While sugar-water is cooling, wash, destem and crush the grapes, being sure to wear rubber gloves. Pour crushed grapes into nylon straining bag, tie securely, and put in primary. Pour water over grapes, add crushed Campden tablet and yeast nutrient, and cover primary securely. After 12 hours add pectic enzyme. Wait additional 12 hours and measure both specific gravity and acid. S.G. should be 1.090 or higher; acidity no higher than 7 p.p.t. tartaric. Correct S.G. if required by adding additional sugar, acid by using one of three methods described below following recipes. Add yeast, recover primary, and squeeze nylon bag lightly and stir must twice daily for about 5-7 days or until S.G. drops to 1.030. Press pulp well to extract liquid. Pour into secondary fermentation vessel, fit airlock, and let stand 3 weeks. Rack and top up, then rack again in 2 months and again after additional 2 months. If wine has cleared, bottle. If not, wait until wine clears, rack again and bottle. This wine may be sweetened before bottling by stabilizing, waiting 10-12 hours, then adding 2/3 to 1-1/3 cup sugar-water per gallon (2 parts sugar dissolved in 1 part water. May taste after one year, but improves remarkably with age (2-4 years). [Author's recipe.]

I didn't do the acidity testing though. Several other web site recipes didn't have that step, so I didn't bother.

I did put the fruit in a mesh bag then used a sanitized 4x4 to press them in the bucket, not hard enough though to break down the seeds. Always heard that the seeds can leave a bad taste to the wine if crushed.

Starting S.G. was 1.096. After 7 days the S.G. was 1.020 so I racked it to a clean carboy.

think im gonna use this one

Todd's Muscadine Wine

This recipe is for a country style wine that is very popular down here in South Louisiana. A friend of mine gave me this recipe and since almost 300 gallons a year between he and I fly out of or homes, I would consider this a good recipe.

1. Pick only very ripe Muscadines, usually a 5 gal bucket will do. Varieties that I grow are Ison, Darlene, Sweet Jenny and Pam from Isons vineyards in Georgia.
2. Crush grapes and place in intial fermenter. I use a large Rubbermaid container with a snap on lid.
3. Add yeast to grapes. I use Montrachet or E118. My friend use Bread yeast (Like I said, this is a country recipe)
4. After 4-5 days, strain off the juice from the grapes.
5. In a 5 gallon fermenter add 1.5 gallons of juice and 12lbs of sugar If you use the Montrachet, if using the E118 add 15 lbs sugar, then add water to make 5 gallons.
6. Ferment as normal. I normally bottle at the 6 month mark.

Using the Montrachet yeast I am getting 11-12% ABV and some residual sweetness but not to sweet, just as I like it.

I make 2 types with this recipe. I make a straight red or rose with the Isons (they are a black grape) and a white with the other listed varities as they are bronze grapes. I prefer the white as these grapes do not have as much acid as the Ison and it just comes out smoother to me.

You may have noticed that I did not mention sulfite or sorbate. You may use it but we have never had any problems and the wine does not last that long once we have it bottled.
toddrod is offline Report Post

One thing I have figured out is that if I get my OG around 1.125-1.130 with the added sugar, it will give me the residual sweetness I like.

Back