I want to reuse my yest cake for a new batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fuzzywumpers

Reaction score
Actually I'm planning on brewing two batches this weekend and they both require the same yeast that I already have in a current batch that is going to secondary. I was wondering if it would be possible for me to split this yeast cake between two batches. Any suggestions would really help.

I have never done that but it should absolutely be possible since there are plenty of yeast critters for two batches. The problem is that you don't want your yeast to get contaminated when you move it to a new container. Someone else will need to give you advice on 'cleaning' the yeast. I have just reused yeast that is in the bottom of the carboy from an earlier batch by pouring in a new wort, taking precautions to keep the carboy opening covered after siphoning out the first batch. It worked great (in fact, the beer tastes better than the first batch!).

You can wash the yeast from that batch, and then simply divide out the slurry between your next two batches. There should be more than enough viable cells for both of them. Here's a basic tutorial for yeast washing: Yeast Washing Illustrated.

You can ignore the last step or two on there if you're re-pitching that same day; you won't need to let the yeast fall out of solution or decant the beer. The main purpose of washing like this would just be to thin out the yeast cake so that it's easier to collect and measure out for re-pitching.

Oh, and don't forget to use the Mr Malty pitching calculator to see how much slurry to pitch into your two new batches.

Hope that helps!

I just might try that. Just wanted to learn another trick. No use in buying new yeast when you've got plenty at home.

Use Mr. Malty to determine how many ounces/ml of slurry needed for your batch.

As far as the yeast washing goes, I’ve read a lot that emphasizes washing but personally I’ve never washed my reused yeast and have never had a batch under attenuate, get contaminated, or result in less than desirable beer. The most I’ve reused is to the 3rd generation. If you have the time and means I’d wash but if you don’t you’re probably still going to end up ok.

My process for reusing: I only reuse yeast used to ferment beer less than ~1.055. After racking a batch off the cake I’ll split the yeast cake into 2 sanitized vacuum sealed bags then store in the fridge. For my next batch I determine pitching rate based on Mr. Malty and either pitch straight into the wort or make a simple starter then pitch.

Thanks Arturo. That thread was really informative. I'd rather do things the right way than potentially ruin some good beer.:tank:

Thanks Arturo. That thread was really informative. I'd rather do things the right way than potentially ruin some good beer.:tank:

I'm not a big fan of that thread. There's a whole lot of theorizing without a whole lot of data.

I've pitched a couple of beers on old cakes, and never had problems.

I've had buddies say there isn't a problem with pitching on an old cake, and now I've heard otherwise. I'm sure it's one of those things that comes down to preference. I'm mostly interested in spreading resources the best I can. I'd rather not buy another bottle of yeast if I have some sitting in the bottom of my primary.
I'm thinking I'll just scrape out half of the cake and use it in the other batch, then just pitch right over the existing. Of the few other resources I've checked, I don't think I will be "overpitching" then.

Back