Should i use the Ginger?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HillbillyDeluxe

Reaction score
I normally all grain brew. I formulate my own recipes and have good and bad beer as a result. I love experimenting and i usually do this with an extract kit in the style i want to play aroung with.

I have a brewers best ipA kit (i get them cheap) and planned on brewing it today. I have made up my mind i will dry hop it in secondary with 1 oz of leaf Mt hoods. Buuuuut......

I have 1 ounce of ginger root and wonder if i shred it and throw it in the boil how it will turn out. Another question is how long to boil. Long boil makes it more mellow right?

Any comments or advice will be welcome.

not sure if this is too late (or if it will be of any help anyways), but...

A longer boil will drive off the aromatics, so in a sense, a longer boil will mellow the ginger aroma/flavor (much like boiling hops longer reduces their flavor and aroma contribution). However, I have no idea how the remaining flavor will influence the beer or if it will add bitterness to it. Maybe try 15 minutes?

I'm a ginger junkie, and want to work on getting it how i want in beer. I brewed the ginger stout (Vagabond Gingered Ale from The Complete Joy of Homebrewing), and have had Left Hand's Juju Ginger. I boiled mine for 60 minutes, and I assume Left Hand did similar. It's not the ginger taste I know and love. I really am not a fan, actually. I think 60 minutes is too long. Try 15 minutes- maybe even dry "hopping" it?

Maybe next brew. ts all a moot point now. I decided to go ahead and use it but when i went to the fridge to get it out to shred it i could not find it. SWMBO thought it was some sort of (Icky, yucky spoiled thing) her words. She tossed it. I'll try again next brew i guess. Now she decides to clean...... sheesh!

Latest posts

Back