Fine Crush with BC and BIAB?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

magnj

Reaction score
So I'm getting pretty annoyed with 65% efficiency, plus I would like to get bulk grain prices. This means I need(want) a Barley Crusher. My question is, I understand that the crush will be much more flour, is this going to be a problem with the modified BIAB technique I am using? Will there be an excess amount of break material?

You can adjust the crush to be whatever you want, however I left it at factory setting and am happy with the crush. Never done the BIAB so can't help with that.

I'm not worried that the BC won't perform well, I'm wondering if a really good crush is incompatible with the BIAB method.

Then it's more of a technique question, you might be better off in the All Grain threads.

When I BIAB, I crush the heck out of my grain. With BIAB, you can crush much finer as the bag acts as a large filter.

I've found that if I crush really fine, that I dough in at about 135 then bring it up to mash temp. This helps avoid dough balls. Sometimes with a really fine crush, all the stirring in the world doesn't seem to help.

When I BIAB, I crush the heck out of my grain. With BIAB, you can crush much finer as the bag acts as a large filter.

I've found that if I crush really fine, that I dough in at about 135 then bring it up to mash temp. This helps avoid dough balls. Sometimes with a really fine crush, all the stirring in the world doesn't seem to help.

Do you sparge or do you do it all in one shot? If so do you stir during the sparge. I'm really just worried about putting a lot of crap into the fermentor.

Do you sparge or do you do it all in one shot? If so do you stir during the sparge. I'm really just worried about putting a lot of crap into the fermentor.

I don't sparge, but I recirculate through the whole mash. Get 75-80% consistently.

I have a cooler that I mash in, it's just a matter of adding a manifold. But I don't see why a bag won't work just as well.

I do a very fine crush for biab and get good efficiencies (85%) but have been playing around with using my biab bag as a psudo manifold and sparging the mash with good results

Back