over-carbonation????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoppheadIPA

Reaction score
I have a hefe in bottles and I tried one 7 days in. The carbonation was almost there and the taste was fantastic. 3 days later, at day 10 in the bottle, It poured about 6" of foam to 1/2" of beer. Will this settle out a bit or is it overcabonated? I used the priming sugar that came with the kit so it was the right amount. Am I screwed?

The priming sugar that comes with the kit is pretty much the most you would ever need. Here's a good article on how to determine how much you will want to use.

A Primer on Priming

Putting your beer in the fridge for a couple of weeks should help to decrease the carbonation, if it's over the top. Another trick would be to rinse out your glass with water, and then pour into it.

Hope this helps.

I'd actually wait another week, preferably 2 more before chilling them for at least 48 hour but preferably and entire week.

You could be at the "false carbonation" stage where there is Co2 in the headspace and somewhat in the beer,but it hasn't fully gone into solution yet, the carbonation hasn't peaked and leveled off as the gas is absorbed back into the beer....

And then chilling them down after helps the beer absorb the co2 further.

I would let them sit at carb temp for another week, then take a couple and chill them for a antoehr 3 days or a week...and check those....if they are fine, then chll donw and enjoy the rest.

If you check out my post here, you will see a vid that shows exactly what happened to your beer, how the carb hasn't leveld out yet.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/1030387-post8.html

How much sugar did you use for priming? Was the pack that came with the kit 3/4 of a cup or a whole cup?

Wait another week and taste again.

You can recap your beers to kill a little carbonation. I've gone as far as opening an over-carbed beer and hitting the side with a spoon (or whatever) to release even more carbonation. You run a risk of infection by reopening the beer, though.

I used 5oz of priming sugar to exactly 5 gallons of beer. There are bubbles rising up through the beer and the body is good, it's just ultra heady, if that's even a term.

Back