Breliner wiesse yeast and whatnots...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GweedoeBrew

Reaction score
South of Boston, By way of West Virginia!!
So I am going to do my 15 min boil of an extract Berliner wiesse today. Just 2lb lite dme and 2lb of wheat dme....1oz Tet and then WL Lacto and WYeast3638 . I am going to pitch the Lacto today and do a starter for the 3638 and pitch it in 36-48hrs from today... Let it go a few weeks and then bottle. Drink in summer....

Is this what most people are doing?

How long does it need in the bottle to reach optimal sourness??

I make them by adding the lacto first and then adding the yeast. If you add the sacc first, the beer will take a long time to sour (if it does) due to the alcohol.

Take a small sample (an ounce) and taste it before you pitch the yeast. If it is noticeably sour, pitch the yeast, if not, wait a day. The lacto has a lag time before it starts. Once it starts, it goes quick.

The time line for mine is usually:

- 5 days souring
- 2 weeks fermenting
- Drinking at 6 weeks.

If you sour it first, there is no reason to leave it longer before drinking. Depending on the yeast, you can get diecetyl, and it may take a while for that to dissipate.

I did it roughly the same way you did (except all grain w/ a different yeast, I used Wyeast 1010). 7+ months later, still minimal sourness. Two months ago I added two pounds of DME and some gueuze dregs to hopefully help it along (although after that it may more closely resemble a lambic than a berliner weisse). Next time, if I'm doing pure lacto, I'll be making a sizeable lacto starter, pitching and holding it at 100 degrees or so for a week, and then pitching yeast. Or I'm going to try a sour mash and no boil. As far as I know, sour mash/no boil is traditional, and all the good homebrewed berliner weisse's I've had have also been done that way.

I did it roughly the same way you did (except all grain w/ a different yeast, I used Wyeast 1010). 7+ months later, still minimal sourness. Two months ago I added two pounds of DME and some gueuze dregs to hopefully help it along (although after that it may more closely resemble a lambic than a berliner weisse). Next time, if I'm doing pure lacto, I'll be making a sizeable lacto starter, pitching and holding it at 100 degrees or so for a week, and then pitching yeast. Or I'm going to try a sour mash and no boil. As far as I know, sour mash/no boil is traditional, and all the good homebrewed berliner weisse's I've had have also been done that way.

You also want to keep the hops really low. Lacto doesn't particularly like hops. I didn't use any in my latest one. Waiting for enough bottles to become empty so I can bottle it.

Back