Infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lunarpancake

Reaction score
Unfortunately I cannot get a good photo of this infection.

I just brewed sunday night and pitched the liquid yeast directly into the fermenter because I forgot to create a starter. Also, the beer ended at 1.030 instead of 1.050 (i know it was a mess of a night). Anyways, now 4 days later im finally getting some bubbling and signs that the yeasties are doin' their jobs. Unfortunately I am also seeing what I think is my first infection. There is a tiny (smaller than a dime) blob that looks like it has some super-thin white hairs on it floating around on top of the brew.

Is this indeed infection? SHould I scoop it out? What should I do?

Best i can get of it for now

imagegh.jpg

Take your airlock off and take a picture through the top of the carboy. It'll work better than you think and it'll take less time than a gravity sample and you're not even putting anything in the beer, so you don't have to worry about infection as long as you're quick.

Also, just because I'm kind of in the same boat I'm going to link to my thread because I haven't gotten a satisfactory answer yet.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/probable-infection-pics-188362/

Some pics, ones taken with airlock off didint come out much better.

Im worried about the large clump in the first two images, the third image you can see some small "clumps". Ive never pitched liquid yeast so i dont know if this is normal or what? I am used to having a ravenous fermentation 3 days after pitching with dry yeast, its end of 4th day and im JUST getting my first bubbles as you can see.

img0348h.jpg

img0356xc.jpg

img0354sr.jpg

Looks perfectly normal.

Edit: Some yeasts take longer to get started than other. Also, did you use a starter?

Looks perfectly normal.

Edit: Some yeasts take longer to get started than other. Also, did you use a starter?

nope...forgot to start the liquid yeast the day before. Just pitched the vial after letting it warm to room temp.

Note: i know the bubbles and stuff are normal, but the little clumps too? they look more normal in the pics but in person they look a little suspicious. I'm probably just too worried about my new baby. heh

Looks perfectly normal to me, what yeast strain did you use? What dry strain are you used to using?

nope...forgot to start the liquid yeast the day before. Just pitched the vial after letting it warm to room temp.

This why it has taken longer to start, liquid yeast vials have substantially less yeast than dry yeast packets, they are designed to make a starter.

. . . . . . I'm probably just too worried about my new baby. heh

This is my vote, it's time to RDWHAHB and let the yeasties do their job.:mug:

This why it has taken longer to start, liquid yeast vials have substantially less yeast than dry yeast packets, they are designed to make a starter.

This is my vote, it's time to RDWHAHB and let the yeasties do their job.:mug:

I figured, I just didint want to have this batch be my first infection. :cross:

Back