home brewing magazine?????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lokiua4

Reaction score
i want to subscibe to a home brew mag and searching i see i have a few options.just want to get peoples opinoin as to which you subscribe to and why??

thx in advance 4 any info

I subscribe to "Brew Your Own".

I've tried others, but BYO is oriented to the homebrewer with lots of good info.

I get both BYO and Zymurgy. I like them both, though I was just in the throne room flipping through Zymurgy, and realized that the last page is usually a totally worthless essay. Otherwise, I enjoy just about everything I read in both.

Here's the thing with both of them: you'll read through each issue, and think, "Interesting style, but I don't know if it's for me." Then, three months later, you'll find the stack of back-issues, and realize that an article you read and tossed originally is all of a sudden quite germane to your current brewing interests.

It's good to read both and then save them for future reference - especially since BYO doesn't make a lot of their current articles available on their site, and Zymurgy usually only features one article on their site.

I get both BYO and Zymurgy. I like them both, though I was just in the throne room flipping through Zymurgy, and realized that the last page is usually a totally worthless essay. Otherwise, I enjoy just about everything I read in both.

Here's the thing with both of them: you'll read through each issue, and think, "Interesting style, but I don't know if it's for me." Then, three months later, you'll find the stack of back-issues, and realize that an article you read and tossed originally is all of a sudden quite germane to your current brewing interests.

It's good to read both and then save them for future reference - especially since BYO doesn't make a lot of their current articles available on their site, and Zymurgy usually only features one article on their site.

I agree with you, plus as a bonus, since they only send 8 and 6 issues the more the better. It seems like a long time to wait between issues, I get so excited when one shows up, but I guess I am a beer nerd that way.

Same here.. I mainly read BYO and Zymurgy (have subscribed to both for many years). I used to really like Brewing Techniques as well but they stopped publishing that magazine a while ago. You can still get back issues if interested though http://brewingtechniques.com/

I have just as much fun looking at a Williams Brewing or Northern Brewer catalog heh. And I'll occasional flip through an All about Beer, Beer, or Imbibe if I see one.

+1 to BYO an Zymurgy. I have learned a ton from both and love that they cater to beginners as well as pros.

BYO and Zymurgy. I have learned a lot from both and save all issues to refer to later. I have every issue of BYO and all but 10 of the earliest Zymurgys. Sometimes I'll start from the beginning and reread a bunch of issues.

I buy BYO at B&N every month...I hope I get a subscription for christmas....I know I have picked the right homebrew forum and Magazine since I see an article about someone from these forums in almost every issue.....

I have Brew Your Own. It's the only one I have got so I can't say what other ones are good. I am very happy with BYO.

I thought about getting a BYO subscription; but after finally becoming a member on this site I don't see the point. I mean the only article I ever read in a brewing mag was about a counter top all grain system.... the same system that a member here talked about first....

So I'll keep my mag subscription to Surfers Journal & (motorcycle) Roadracing World and technology and my reading at this site.. I find it more useful (I have an Itouch so I can web surf on the throne) :)

I personally think BYO is loosing its appeal rather quickly. A lot of repeditive informaiton, often stuff that really is not of a lot of interest, etc. BYO should do more for the price IMO. I also get Zymurgy and I think that's a much better magazine than BYO

I read both BYO and Zymurgy. I used to read Beer Advocate as well, but had a lot of issues getting them to correct my home address when I moved that I just never put in the effort to get it fixed.

I just found BYO magazine at the store so I bought a copy. I like it. I had bought some others but they were more about tasting beers and rating them and bleh bleh bleh.....

BYO has good tips for me and interesting reading! I may subscribe.

Back