Secondary fermenting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhelegda

Reaction score
I sometimes secondary ferment. After the beer is transferred to the secondary what do you do to prevent it from oxidizing? There is oxygen between the beer and the lid or stopper.

I sometimes secondary ferment. After the beer is transferred to the secondary what do you do to prevent it from oxidizing? There is oxygen between the beer and the lid or stopper.

Unless there is a significant amount of time in the primary (weeks, months) there isn't anything you need to do except make sure that there is minimal space above the beer in the carboy (choose the right size of carboy) so that the dissolved CO2 in the beer will fill the space and push the oxygen out within a short amount of time. Leaving a large headspace in the carboy for secondary is a bad idea.

It was only in the primary for about a week and a half and it was transferred to a secondary bucket.

Buckets don't make good secondary vessels. It's actually less about head space and more about surface area. Use a carboy and fill up into the neck.

Dry hopping a Citra Wheat in a secondary vessel . . .

Secondary_02.jpg

if you keg and have co2, you can use it to purge the head space of o2. i would purge the carboy before even transferring it like i do my kegs when i rack a beer into it.

Also i wouldn't secondary in a bucket.

Latest posts

Back