Whoo-hooo!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Happy Mug

Reaction score
Okay, I just got back home and I am STOKED.

I have recently quit my job so I can go to college full time. I saved up money all the past year. I'm starting my first semester on the 17th. There was an orientation and fair today, and I attended it. Great information, met some nice people, and I took care of everything I needed.

At the college fair, there was a rally. Actually, there were about fifteen rallies. Everything from T-shirts to tutoring coupons to class textbooks to coffee store certificates to art supplies. The big prize was a scholarship. Everybody had six rally tickets. Only one was good for the scholarship, two were for electives and three were for core classes. No biggie. There were well over a hundred people there.

My name was called. I won a really nice boxed dictionary and thesaurus set. Really cool. I was quite happy. I've been wanting a good dictionary and thesaurus for quite a while. I was ecstatic (on the back of the box, there's a $48 selling price). Later on, I'm explaining how thrilled I was with the dictionary and thesaurus to some people I had been talking with, when I heard my name called again.

It was for the scholarship! I won the scholarship! That's worth about 25% of the tuition for my first semester! It's freakin' great!

rallies? why did I type rallies? I mean raffles. Too happy to think straight.

And yes, I'm enjoying this perfectly clear blonde ale from my party pig. Thanks, Drengel.

Awesome! I've never been a poor college student....actually, I've never been any kind of a student, but I can imagine what it's like. I'm sure it'll help out.

Congrats!

Wow! You have really been blessed - maybe you should buy a lottery ticket this week! Seriously, congrats! What an opportunity you have!

Study hard and (not that it seems you need it) - good luck!

Thank you everyone. The real pain was those textbooks. 455 bucks? For four classes of textbooks? WHAT THE HELL? That's an intese amount for six freakin' books. Two of these were used, mind you.

Woo, good to hear. I hear you on the books, though. Always killed me how expensive the books were when I was going to school.

Me, too. By graduate school I had made some friends from the Middle East and Asia who would bring me my booklist when they returned from visits to their home countries. A $100 textbook was usually around $12...paperback instead of hardcover, but who cares!

Textbooks have always been a racket. I remember burning $50-75 per term on books in the early '70's. At the time, I was averaging $11/week for food. Funny how the instructors always insisted you have the newest version and carefully assigned readings & problems that weren't in the old version. Did I mention they wrote the bleeders & got kickbacks?

Back