Brew Session At The_Bird's!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm definately coming, will PM you when I got home from work. Glibbidy said no when I was talking to him about the mill yesterday. Chill looks like he is coming, (see post before yours). I'll be there early so have coffee on(or better yet, a breakfast stout would be good:D )

No breakfast stout, unless Vermicious makes the trip over ;)

I am planning on breaking out the big 'ol barleywine that Bernie Brewer sent me for FFB. That'll put some sustenance in the ol' belly... gotta remember to get it in the fridge. Gotta have some friends to help me drink that thing!

No Gilb? Damn... who's gonna teach me to do a decoction? ;)

Well, sounded like 2nd St wanted to get here early. I'm thinking that I'll start my own mash around 8:00 or so, whenever people want to get there after that works for me. Maybe shoot for 9:00 (I know you've got a bit of a haul, Chill).

Evan, do you have to be at your thing at 2:00, or you have to leave by 2:00? You can brew in five hours - and if you run out of time, we can finish chilling, aerating, whatever for you. We wouldn't do something like throw in a pound and a half of chili flakes into your wort or anything, trust us!

Gotta be there at 2.

I'm making a Belgian Wit this weekend (BierMuncher's Blue Balls - Blue Moon clone). Was thinking of doing a decoction with a protein rest. Recipe didn't call for it so maybe I can just do the usual single infusion, batch sparge routine...

Chili flakes definitely would not fit the style.

Sorry boys, but vehicle issues will prevent me from joining you:mad:

I may be able to do some brewing though:mug:

Have a great day, and I'll shoot for the next one...

Hippie

the_bird said:
No Gilb? Damn... who's gonna teach me to do a decoction? ;)

I'll send ya some melanoidin malt before the brew day. :) I heard from some wise soul that it does the exact same thing. ;)

Breaking into that Barleywine eh? Let me know how it is!!

Have fun boys!

Sorry guys I'm out this weekend, I double booked the date. Got an event to attend up in Norwich, VT Sunday. I may make a feable attempt at brewing Saturday if I don't get swindled into repointing my stone wall.

Sorry I couldn't make it. Work lasted longer yesterday than I had planned, which messed up my schedule for the rest of the weekend. Plus, my afternoon schedule got moved up an hour. Ton of crap to do and no time to do it.

I don't even have time to brew here. :( :mad:

And a fine day is done. Props to the_bird for his fine hospitality. Although I wish you had told me how cheap gas was over your way Jay. I filled up at $3.07 here and it was as low as $2.91 on the way home. Made it home in time to keep SWMBO happy. Again, thanks for a great day Jay.:mug:

Tons of fun, guys!

Chill and I are both suffering from "Brewer's Burn," the combination of hot sun, propane heat, and pale skin.

Thanks for helping me with the kegging questions, too!

the_bird said:
Tons of fun, guys!

Chill and I are both suffering from "Brewer's Burn," the combination of hot sun, propane heat, and pale skin.

lol I just had SWMBO rub me down with some lotion. My neck is red as your IPA Jay.

I scorched most of my left arm hair off, too!

Need to start planning now for the next get together. I want to make sure I have it on my calendar in indelible ink.

I'm not going to be able to make the batch that I had planned for this weekend until next weekend.

chillHayze said:
lol I just had SWMBO rub me down with some lotion. My neck is red as your IPA Jay.

I scorched most of my left arm hair off, too!

Ok were we all facing the same direction all day? My left side is burned too. Shift your house 90 degrees nect time so we can get an all over tan.:D

jaybird said:
Just wondering??? how far are you all traveling to brew with the bird?
JJ

I'm just over an hour from bird's. Chill has a little longer run. It would have been shorter if he could follow directions.:p

I think thats killer you all get together for brewdays. I would like to get something like that going out here. Did you all meet here on the forum or did you know each other before brewing?
JJ

Nah, we all met here. Glibbidy hosted a get-together last December that we all went to (along with a bunch of other guys). Pretty sure it was your mead that we were drinking after the brewing was done (damn good, too, if it was yours!). 2nd Street and I had met up the week before at the HBS, but it's been this forum that's gotten people together.

There've got to be people around here who are within driving distance of you - post something in the "gatherings" section and see if anyone wants to group-brew. LOTS of fun, and great to sample everyone's creations.

It never seices to amaze me how brewing can draw people together. one of my brew buddies around here I met in a hardware store, we were both buying brewing equipment, and excited as hell about it I might add. thats really killer you all get together. How did the day turn out? what did you all brew? and thanks for the kudos on the mead from last year.
JJ

I made a cupboard cleaner Brown Ale, 2nd Street made Kolsh and bird was all about the wiezen. Bird's daughter, Cassie, made... a mess!

Pics:

Up to no good!

2nd Street pretends to fly as bird pours some water into a pot.

Fly sparging with minimal resources.

Playing with gasses is fun!

Chill, Couldn't you find a picture of me where my gut wasn't hanging all the way out:D And I wasn't trying to fly. I was trying to pop my vertibre back into place.

That damn electric turkey fryer I thought I wasted $70 on last winter actually does a damn fine job of heating sparge water, especially when I'm using my 5 gallon stockpot to do a decoction. It was pretty useful having a ready supply of preheated water when mash temps needed to be corrected, as well.

Back