Brew Session At The_Bird's!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_bird

10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
4050-ticket.jpg

Call it Yankee Ingenuity III (even though YI-II was pretty sparsely attended... ;))

Upon recipt of a PM from the good bud Chillhayze, got to thinking that it's time for another big brew session. Now, this isn't the big, family-friendly picnic/session that I'm planning for the summer (and which SWMBO has signed off on), just a good ol' fashioned boys' afternoon.

May 6th is the date. Post or PM if you want to come over. I may or may not have some stuff kegged by then, if not, there's plenty of beer around.

Who's up for this?

I should be able to make it over for this one. You're a bit closer than Kai was. That and I know where you live:D I'll know better as we get closer but right now I should be good.

I should buy one for this... so far, we've got:

Chillhayze
Bnutting
2nd Street
Glibbidy
Evanmars, I'm 99% sure will be up
Myself

Looks like we'll get a good turnout!

Hey Vermicous! You need a break from the kidling yet?! And where's Hippie been?

While Kaiser's was out of the question, I may be able to beg permission from the wife for May. No RIS ready this time, but I have a bock that should be just finished lagering by that time.

Well bird if we can make it an early start I can do it. I checked in with SWMBO and we have the banquet for our bowling league that night(6PM) As long as I can be back by 4 to 5ish to unload my stuff and get cleaned up I can do it. Any later and I'll have to wait for the shindig in the summer.

Not a problem, 2nd. Sure I'll be up early getting stuff together and mashing in myself. Probably work best if brewing is staggered a bit (I only have the one garden hose, although I'll hook up a splitter somehow).

Glibbidy said:
If I remember correctly either 2nd or Chilly brought a splitter to my house last time. We could also possibly daisy chain the chillers together.

I had the splitter. I picked up a second one so if needed we can split the split as it were and run three lines. Provided bird has the hose. And from his sig quote from Yooper it seems he does:D

Was that your splitter that put as much water on the ground as was in the hose?

I might need some of you gents to bring along a spare hose if you have one (I have but the one, although I plan to buy a second here fairly shortly). I'll try and get a splitter hooked up that's a little less, uh... ghetto than the one before...

the_bird said:
Was that your splitter that put as much water on the ground as was in the hose?
That was my freeze proof faucet that was not cooperating, and not the splitter. :eek:

I also have plenty of hose to bring along, and then there is the hose.

This is off topic but i figured this would be the right topic for fellow New-Englanders. At my LHBS in marlbourough mass has this on their site: (Not sure if anyone has looked into this)
GUEST BREWERS WANTED

How it works:

1. Strange Brew will provide all ingredients for a 5 gallon batch of beer (*except water).

2. NOW OPEN TO THE FIRST EXTRACT BREWER TO RESPOND! UNLIMITED SPACES AVAILABLE FOR ALL-GRAIN BREWERS!!!
Is anyone reading this? That's free Beer! (*Some restrictions may apply.)
This offer is usually for ALL GRAIN BREWING ONLY :)

3. We will provide the patio to brew on, ingredients and rinse water. You must supply all of the equipment, and brewing water.

4. You take the brew home with you to ferment. We ask that you bring back a 6 pack (or reasonable equivalent) for tasting during subsequent brewing sessions. You keep the rest, thus the FREE BEER!

5. Demo's will be on Saturdays and/or Sundays, weather permitting. (The front patio is covered.)
www.home-brew.com

Seems like a good deal to me if anyone were interested.

Man, I'd love to go--really want to get a good demonstration of AG. Sadly, that's my SWMBO's birthday. :drunk:

the_bird said:
Hey, I drove out to Pepperell for a brew session last month! That's just as far!
Ha! I should have used quotes - I was refering to tbulger's OT post about Guest Brewing at Strange Brew.

I would come out to your place, but that weekend I'll just be back from a week long training class - SWMBO will be ready to smother the child if I don't "tag in" (tag in line stolen from Beermaker - Wizard of Saaz)

RichBrewer said:
How come all you folks that have these great get-togethers live so dang far away from me??? Or maybe I live so far away from you.:drunk:

Oh, I feel REAL sorry for you, Mr. "All The Homebrewers In The Country Will Soon Be Flying Into Town For The Weekend."

Maybe you should call Papa Charlie up - he's not too far from you, is he? Her might be up for a group-brew. ;)

This is very tempting. I have a green light from the wife, but I am an hour even further East than Kaiser. Vermont was tough enough, but I just don't know if I can do 3 hr 45 min drive time. I will wait and see how I feel as the date grows closer.

Sorry I haven't been around much lately folks... I have been spending alot of time on the road for work.

I am for sure interested Bird, Pencil me in and I'll do what I can

er... I'm in.

Have been away vacating... until now.

What is everyone brewing?
Are you on a well or "city" water, bird? Any idea the ppm of your sulfates? :))

If I remember, I'll see if I can get a copy of the water report soon and let you know. It is city water, but it's not bad, I don't mind it out of the tap. Not a lot of chlorine.

Got a new toy for the session - a four-way brass hose manifold, with four cute l'il ball valves, so we can hook up at least four chillers (five if 2nd St brings his splitter). I will need people to bring some hoses - I have one that I use, there may be a second one that I can add some new endpieces to, maybe make that into a couple 10-foot hoses, but we'll need more.

Hell, we could call this "The Hose Fest."

Actually, maybe we better not...

I have a previous engagement that I may be able to get out of that day. Either way, I've got a couple of hoses I could lend. Or maybe rent for some beer?

I'm still planning on coming but if what I just discovered all over my hands and neck turns out to be the poison ivy that I think it is:mad: I will be next to useless. Was clearing brush in my back yard last week end and must have gotten into it then. I've got bumps all over the place.

*checks his crotch to make sure nothing showing up on Mr Happy*

the_bird said:
Bump.

PM me if you're coming so I can start planning (and for those who haven't been to the house, I'll give you directions).
It turns out I'm on call that week. So unless I want to risk getting called out in the middle of brewing, I probably should not go too far from home. :mad:

I'll have to try to hook up with you some other time.

Back