Seriously. You're kidding

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arneba28

Reaction score
P6200030.JPG

Ok what the hell. Its mid June and we are getting 1/2" hail. Crazy thunderstorms the last 2 days. What the Hell.

I first pulled up the pic and thought you were holding some crack rocks. I thought, damn, I'd not be putting that up on teh interwebz. :D

That's surprising in the east - we used to get that stuff all the time in Montana, even in July/August, but I figured it was because it was less humid out there. Never experienced that back here.

We just had the same thing here in Tennessee last week. Pop up thunderstorms 3 days in a row, all producing marble sized hail. It's funny to see your deck covered in ice when it's 85f to 90f outside!

I first pulled up the pic and thought you were holding some crack rocks. I thought, damn, I'd not be putting that up on teh interwebz. :D

That would have been the last thing that I thought of... you crackhead :D:p

Damn. When I was in WI last summer around July 4th we got some a bit bigger than that. Apparently thats normal for them though.

Some 15 years ago, I lived in a local suburb called Sylmar, which was right up against the base of some foothills. Several times, we had bizarre hailstorms that smelled STRONGLY of fish! They were small, slightly gray, and made the whole neighborhood smell like a bait shop. The poor cat didn't know what to do, it drove her crazy!

When living in Chicago, I've had it rain 3 or 4" fish before. If an intense storm picks up water from Lake Michigan, it will pick up small fish. It's a pretty rare occurrence, I've seen it maybe 3 times in my life.

The most fish I've ever had on my lawn after a storm is about 5.

We lived a good solid 15 miles from the lake.

Hail's a heartbreaker. We have hail like that 3-4 times each year and a couple of times each year with golfball to baseball size. Those break windshields and actually go through the roofs of houses and generally destroy anything in their path. This was the aftermath of a storm from about four years ago.

Hail.jpg

Hail's a heartbreaker. We have hail like that 3-4 times each year and a couple of times each year with golfball to baseball size. Those break windshields and actually go through the roofs of houses and generally destroy anything in their path. This was the aftermath of a storm from about four years ago.

Hail.jpg

the roof and hood of my car still show the scars of the golf ball sized hail that hit us 2 years ago... altho not serious enough to break the paint, I have small dimples on my hood and roof from the hail.

This storm hit just last week - less than a week after the town was hit by two tornados. We had 19 employees' cars parked in the lot and they all look pretty much the same.

IMG_0488.jpg

This storm hit just last week - less than a week after the town was hit by two tornados. We had 19 employees' cars parked in the lot and they all look pretty much the same.

IMG_0488.jpg

Wow, that makes my story about getting hit with quarter-size hail and putting a few dings in my 2-month old new '08 honda accord over Memorial day weekend to shame.

Seriously its You're

NOT YOUR

Seriously it's "it's"

NOT ITS

:mug:

Thanks, guys, I was almost going to say something, but decided to put away my grammar police badge tonight. I'm glad you did it for me.:cross:

Some 15 years ago, I lived in a local suburb called Sylmar, which was right up against the base of some foothills. Several times, we had bizarre hailstorms that smelled STRONGLY of fish! They were small, slightly gray, and made the whole neighborhood smell like a bait shop. The poor cat didn't know what to do, it drove her crazy!

I believe, if I am not mistaken, that there indeed have been recorded instances of it raining fish. I can't recall the explanation though.

Ok here is a snippet on this phenomenon

we had baseball sized hail in the state last week...I'd be tickeled with nickle/dime sized hailstones.

I believe, if I am not mistaken, that there indeed have been recorded instances of it raining fish. I can't recall the explanation though.

Sure, such instances are rare but pretty well documented. In my case, I'm guessing a storm picked up some seawater with zooplankton or other tiny sea critters before dumping it on my neighborhood. It was about 30 miles from the ocean, but there is no other reasonable explanation. The cat sure couldn't explain it!

Back