Heady Topper

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I found a research paper with a nice first aid kit section on how to get rid of problems by adding enzymes. It recommends Fungal alpha-amylase or beta
glucanase to reduce haze.

Finally a grain bag! I've been looking at facebook pics for months trying to catch a glimpse of one, or some hops. This is the first I've ever seen. Were you there or did you find the pic?

Not my pick, just been crusin the web for pics from the brewery. I think it was actually from the brewery web site. I also noticed one of the white plastic 5 gal buckets to catch the krausen blowoff looked like it said "antifreeze" on the side...lol. Don't think that's an ingredient though.:)

Interesting to me because he has a few opportunities to mention other malts or use the plural form when talking about them, but only refers to one malt.

True. I read a review a while back where the author said something like "the fact that this beer is made with 100% base malt..." and I thought that was odd. No indication in the review where this person got that information. I formulated my next recipe with all pearl malt and sugar based on 1.070 OG and 8% ABV, but the SRM was really low, something like 4.4 according to Beersmith. So, I assumed there had to be something else in there and never went forward with it. I think HT is probably closer to 5.0-5.4ish - just my guess judging by my comparisons. Seems unlikely that the brewery uses honey malt for that subtle sweetness and instead gets it in their mash technique, but I still think there's something else in there :)

EDIT: Wait, of course I formulated that recipe when NOT using Conan yeast, which has a really high attenuation. So, you probably COULD achieve a higher SRM with more Pearl and less sugar and still hit 1.070/8% ABV. Hmmmm.

Brewed my Psuedo Heady clone last night, did a 4 gallon test batch on my stovetop lost about 1/2 gallon to the massive hops in this beer and will probably lose another 1/2 to the drop hop. Anyway, I was measuring and mixing up my "proprietary hop blend" for my 5 min and steep additions and goofed and ended up with 2.5 oz of Amarillo instead of 1.25 which I originally wanted and since there was a handful of other hops in that bowl already there was no turning back, so my attempt might be a little more Amarillo forward which doesnt bother me none.

I didnt have Pearl malt so I did a little blend of 2-row and Marris Otter, IBUs are exact but again Im not too worried. Most of this for me is seeing how Conan works in a big DIPA and just seeing if this blend of hops will get me in the ballpark. I pitched at midnight last night after hitting the wort with 45 seconds of pure O2, woke up this morning and the airlock was bubbling and had a thin white film on top. I fully expect to come home to a vigorous fermentation.

Measured OG was 1.072, my efficiency is a bit crappy with my small system dont know why but I only use it a few times a year so I dont fight it.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 5.00 gal
Post Boil Volume: 4.26 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 4.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 3.60 gal
Estimated OG: 1.077 SG
Estimated Color: 5.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 105.3 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 71.9 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
6 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 56.5 %
3 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 2 30.4 %
1 lbs Vienna Malt (Briess) (3.5 SRM) Grain 3 8.7 %
8.0 oz Dextrose (Briess) (1.0 SRM) Sugar 4 4.3 %
1.00 oz Magnum [14.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 57.8 IBUs
1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 6 -
0.50 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 15.0 mins) Other 7 -
1.50 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 8 16.0 IBUs
0.75 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 9 5.2 IBUs
0.75 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 10 6.2 IBUs
0.75 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Boil 5.0 Hop 11 8.6 IBUs
0.50 oz Nugget [13.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 12 5.3 IBUs
0.50 oz Warrior [15.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 13 6.2 IBUs
2.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Aroma Steep 30. Hop 14 0.0 IBUs
1.50 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Aroma Steep 30.0 min Hop 15 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Aroma Steep 30.0 Hop 16 0.0 IBUs
0.50 oz Nugget [13.00 %] - Aroma Steep 30.0 min Hop 17 0.0 IBUs
0.50 oz Warrior [15.00 %] - Aroma Steep 30.0 min Hop 18 0.0 IBUs
0.25 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Aroma St Hop 19 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg Conan (The Alchemist #) Yeast 20 -
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Day Hop 21 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Day Hop 22 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days Hop 23 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days Hop 24 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days Hop 25 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days Hop 26 0.0 IBUs

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 11 lbs 8.0 oz
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 14.75 qt of water at 159.5 F 149.0 F 60 min

Sparge: Batch sparge with 2 steps (0.26gal, 2.63gal) of 170.0 F water
Notes:
------
2 seperate dry hops, 3 oz each for 5 days.

So I kegged this beer yesterday, it finished at 1.015 (OG was 1.072) for 79% attenuation and ~7.5% ABV. I wanted it to be north of 8% but my efficiency sucked on brewday, nobody will know the difference.

The color looks spot on for Heady, the aroma is awesome very tropical, notes of mango and orange. The bitterness is big but not overwhelming it gives the impression that the beer is dry but has a nice solid malt backbone to carry it along. It will go through a 2 stage dry hop, 3 oz each of Simcoe, Amarillo, and Centennial for 5 days each.

Longer boil would give you more carmelization and a higher SRM.

Might be a moot point though since Beersmith puts 100% Pearl with 148 mash yielding 1.070 OG and using yeast with 79% attenuation at 8.0% ABV and 5.4 SRM. Seems about right. I got 83% apparent attenuation using Conan with 13oz of sugar, and I believe I under-pitched. My FG kept creeping down slowly for a full 2 weeks. Just saying, my original point is probably wrong. I think you could definitely hit all the correct numbers fine with just Pearl if you pitch a healthy amount of Conan...but, that doesn't solve the 'sweetness' problem so....third base.

Might be a moot point though since Beersmith puts 100% Pearl with 148 mash yielding 1.070 OG and using yeast with 79% attenuation at 8.0% ABV and 5.4 SRM. Seems about right. I got 83% apparent attenuation using Conan with 13oz of sugar, and I believe I under-pitched. My FG kept creeping down slowly for a full 2 weeks. Just saying, my original point is probably wrong. I think you could definitely hit all the correct numbers fine with just Pearl if you pitch a healthy amount of Conan...but, that doesn't solve the 'sweetness' problem so....third base.

I haven't run any numbers in beersmith, but what about less pearl and a longer boil to get to the SRM and more sugar to get the ABV up and dry out the beer.

I'm only half following this thread so maybe this has already been discussed or maybe I'm off with my thinking.

I haven't run any numbers in beersmith, but what about less pearl and a longer boil to get to the SRM and more sugar to get the ABV up and dry out the beer.

I'm only half following this thread so maybe this has already been discussed or maybe I'm off with my thinking.

Sure, I guess it's possible, but at 148-149 mash and already hitting everything with 100% pearl, why bother? Heady doesn't strike me as a particularly dry beer. And, personally, and I'm no expert, I don't think the brewery is achieving the color with a longer boil. My original point was there HAS to be something other than Pearl to hit all those numbers and reach a 5.4ish SRM. But, longer boil or not Conan has proved me dead wrong. I'm now leaning on the side of Veganbrewer's post that they probably use a multi-step mash with just Pearl and no other malts, which results in a sweeter malt profile. With all that said, I'm sticking with my dash of honey malt even though I'm now convinced it's not what The Alchemist does :) Tastes close enough to me. I'm focusing more on perfecting hop profile at this point.

Im not sure I'd be able to tell the difference between 100% pearl or 95% or even 90%. But I see contrasting notes. Kimmich frequently says he avoids sweetness but drinkers say they taste a sweetness. I will do a pearl only today and see how it goes.

I didn't notice the sweetness in Heady until I started trying to clone it. My first attempts were just Pearl and Crystal 10. Side by side, Heady was noticeably sweeter. To the point where, I added Splenda to my brew a little at a time until it had the sweetness of Heady that matched. I tried mashing higher, but it didn't help much with sweetness. Are you going to try a multi step mash to give that enzyme rest a try?

Still thinking about it. I am getting my mash water ready and tinkering with the recipe. At this point, like you, I think the grain bill is within 5% or so of accurate, so I'm much more concerned over hops.

if its only pearl malt at the grain i wonder why they are so worried about the cloudiness and haze. even not filtering, there shouldent be that much

The cloudiness is hop particulate from them dry hopping it, or using something like a hop back I'd suspect. I'm sure it's been gone over in this thread.

Ever pour a beer that has been dry hopped in the keg for a short time? It's pretty hazy and could have some floaties like heady does.

The cloudiness is hop particulate from them dry hopping it, or using something like a hop back I'd suspect. I'm sure it's been gone over in this thread.

Ever pour a beer that has been dry hopped in the keg for a short time? It's pretty hazy and could have some floaties like heady does.

From what I understand, the chunks are proteins and hops resins coagulating.

The thing I posted said Kimmich was concerned with the grain being the cause the haziness, like NordeastBrewer77 said, when it coagulates with hop resins. He was concerned about it being so hazy since he doesn't filter, because he doesn't want to strip out hop compounds.

I'm pretty sure they whirlpool loose hops, no bags, then catch the hops on the way out to the chiller. I'm not sure if he dry hops in bags, but I would think not, and then hits the hop back on the way to the can, with some sort of filter catching bigger debris on the way out.

Anyone think he's not filtering at all and just using dry hops through the whole process loose? I'm thinking he might not even be doing the randall.

Murkiness is one thing, though I have had no problem with anything beyond a light haze even in heavily hopped/dry hopped beers. I think what you see in HT is just straight up break material.

Murkiness is one thing, though I have had no problem with anything beyond a light haze even in heavily hopped/dry hopped beers. I think what you see in HT is just straight up break material.

I think so too, but everyone is saying otherwise. I think it's not filtered really much of anywhere.

I think so too, but everyone is saying otherwise. I think it's not filtered really much of anywhere.

It's both. Break material (protein) and hops resins. Coagulated together in glorious little chunks of tasty goodness.

after reading this whole thread, i really want to try some of this beer.

if anyone up there is willing to/wants to trade please send me a PM.

Im in CT, so i can offer things like new england brewing comp, sixpoint, and others but i dont know whats down here that isnt up there.

anyways, just asking, not trying to derail the attempts to make a clone

rich

Im in CT, so i can offer things like new england brewing comp, sixpoint, and others but i dont know whats down here that isnt up there.

rich

How far are you from the brewery? Take a day trip!

rich

I second the road trip idea and also would like to include a part where you buy a few cases and ship them to all of us contributing here. Not for free of course.

I would be very interested in trying this beer if anyone could get me a 4-pack.

There is something about it, from the look of the can, to the buzz that I'm reading, that makes me more excited than usual to try to get some.

The only can I've had came to me by the graces of Airborneguy. Considering he doesn't live anywhere near the distribution zone it was a true sacrifice. I would love to get some more in the future. I've got a lead. I'm hoping the quality stays the when they expand.

The only can I've had came to me by the graces of Airborneguy. Considering he doesn't live anywhere near the distribution zone it was a true sacrifice. I would love to get some more in the future. I've got a lead. I'm hoping the quality stays the when they expand.

You will have to secure one for me, then! ;)

I am dying to try this beer, more than any other. Two Hearted and Zombie Dust probably round out my top 3.

https://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&oe=utf-8&q=directions+from+toronto+to+waterbury%2C+vt

Less than 8 hours! I'm considering driving 13 if I can't get some Citra DIPA soon.

I'm actually an hour north of Toronto now, so make that 9 :D

I might have possibly gone had I decided to go to NHC this year. I was going to, but after hearing it's in Grand Rapids next year I decided I could wait another year!

A nearby brewery (~30 minutes further north, really the only great or even good brewery in the entire province) makes a pretty good all-citra IPA. They're only a few years old, but I still haven't gone to the actual brewery yet. Maybe I should...

I have a buddy who lives in Massena, NY and he gets over to Alchemist every once in a while. Next time he goes, I'm gonna have him get me some HT. If anyone is interested, let me know.

IMAG0320.jpg

I have a buddy who lives in Massena, NY and he gets over to Alchemist every once in a while. Next time he goes, I'm gonna have him get me some HT. If anyone is interested, let me know.

Definitely interested! I'm in Toronto, but don't mind paying for the shipping. Might make it a better/more cost-efficient to send two, if that can be managed. ;)

Well definitely let you know.

:mug:

Thanks. I would definitely owe you! Ontario is a virtual craft beer desert. A guy in my HB club is from *Utah* and still couldn't believe how bad it is here!

Interested as well!

I live close to Revolution, Three Floyds, and Two Brothers and I don't mind reciprocating!

:mug:

Thanks. I would definitely owe you! Ontario is a virtual craft beer desert. A guy in my HB club is from *Utah* and still couldn't believe how bad it is here!

I'm going to VT late Feb and will be grabbing a case. I'll send you a can.

I have a line through a bartender who hooks me up at the bar in exchange for me bringing him homebrews as tips who knows someone headed up soon. I hope it pulls through because I am really wanting to give it a try.

Its a 9 hour trip one way if i were to try to day trip it.

Put me on the list for one or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back