need a 1st mead recipe/yeast type

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrDuckbutter

Reaction score
I just want to make basic mead: honey, water, yeast...
BUT i want a medium sweetness (semi-sweet in wine talk) in the final product....
can someone suggest the best honey(s) and yeast to achive this...
i see most LHBS sell "mead" yeast...but i am sure someone can suggest a specific one, or whatever...
thanks

You also want to consider what abv you are shooting for. If you are going for a still product, you have two options. 1 You can either keep adding honey until the yeast can't ferment any more, this would be overcoming the yeast's alcohol tolerance. 2 Or you can ferment your mead completely dry, and then stabilize it with sorbate and sulphite and then add more honey to reach your desired sweetness.

Option one, the yeast you use would determine how strong your mead is, abv wise. For example if you used a wine yeast, you would be between 12 and 17% most likely, depending on the yeast and if you used an ale, cider, or sweet mead yeast, you would be somewhere between 8-14% again depending on the yeast.

Option two, the yeast won't matter too much abv wise, but more so on what characteristics it tends to give a brew, so search those. Does your yeast give is a fruity flavor, spice etc? In this method, just add enough honey to get whatever abv % you want, ferment it completely, stabilize and backsweeten with more honey.

Oh and you can use any honey you want. Different honeys will provide different colors, aromas, and flavors. You can even blend different varieties. Just keep in mind that real cheap honey (Sam's Club brand or Kroger's etc) tends to be a bit bland with out other flavorings, like spices and fruits.

BKVAIL,

in reference to this:
secondary:
3 gallons strawberry lemon
1 gallon tea
1 gallon lime
1 gallon apfelwein

are the "tea" and "lime", types of mead? or actual tea and lime beverages??
thanks

Back