PID, SSR, DPST switch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bruwsomtin

Reaction score
Just ordered my pid ( SYL-4352) and SSR (25A). I am using 120v to run a 1500w ULD element for my rims. The diagram for the PID shows using a DPST switch @ the power input. I was wondering if this was absolute or if i could use a SPST switch instead. Also are any fuses needed in the system?

Thanks

Just ordered my pid ( SYL-4352) and SSR (25A). I am using 120v to run a 1500w ULD element for my rims. The diagram for the PID shows using a DPST switch @ the power input. I was wondering if this was absolute or if i could use a SPST switch instead. Also are any fuses needed in the system?

Thanks
You can use an SPST switch to shut the power off. In general, it's suggested BUT NOT REQUIRED to cut any and all "hot" lines when you turn the power off to something. I think those PIDs can work on 120V (1 hot & 1 neutral) as well as 240V (2 hots), so the diagram is probably being conservative and showing both lines being cut just in case you are using 240V to power it and want to follow the "cut all hot lines" suggestion.

As for fuses... it's a good idea to protect the PID with a small (1A?) fuse. The PID doesn't use much power.

Back