Next Brew, my first Stout, Chocolate Oatmeal Stout, could use some mentoring.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KyleWolf

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Working on my first stout. Lookin to make it a double chocolate oatmeal stout. So far the recipe looks like what is below. I have never used chocolate besides chocolate malt in a recipe. I have done some reading on what to use, and I would like the opinions of the amazing resident experts here.

12 lbs 08 oz 2 Row
01 lbs 00 oz Flaked Oat
01 lbs 00 oz Chocolate Malt
00 lbs 08 oz Black Barley

0.5 oz 70min Nugget
0.5 oz 30min Nugget

150mL Godiva Chocolate Liqueur when kegging
1.0 oz Dark Bakers Chocolate into primary after fermentation settles.

Yeast- Wyeast 1335 British Ale II

Post Boil 5.5 gal.
Target OG 1.073
Target FG 1.019
IBU - 25.6
SRM 41
ABV- 7%

Can't wait to hear your opinions.

Thanks
Kyle

I've had the best luck with cocoa powder (rehydrated with some hot water to make a paste and added to secondary). Some people complain that the fat in bar chocolate kills the head of their beer, but other people seem to have good results with it. The liquor is a good idea, but I would add it slowly and taste as you go to avoid overdoing it. Otherwise looks like a solid recipe, good luck.

I would definately rethink the Black Barley, It will give you a lot of coffee notes but not much chocolate, maybe replace it with roasted barley and up the chocolate a little more to make up for the difference in color.

In mine, I also add 4 oz Cocoa at 10 mins, and another 4 oz into Secondary.

I think the Chocolate Liquour at Kegging would be about perfect. I use 4 oz when bottling.

thanks for the suggestions. You use 4 oz...is that into the whole batch? Is 4 oz really enough to produce a noticeable flavor? This was a debate me and a fellow brewer was having.

8 OZ total Cocoa, 4 primary, 4 secondary, you could probably drop in 8 at the end of boil if you dont want to secondary. The cocoa extract is pretty strong, the flavor is never super chocolatey, but the aroma is pretty intense.

8 OZ total Cocoa, 4 primary, 4 secondary, you could probably drop in 8 at the end of boil if you dont want to secondary. The cocoa extract is pretty strong, the flavor is never super chocolatey, but the aroma is pretty intense.

Oops, sorry I didn't specify, I meant of the Chocolate Liqueur.

I brewed a Chocolate Oatmeal stout recently... actually I brewed an Oatmeal stout, split it in two after primary, and added cocoa to one of the secondaries.

A few thoughts:
-I've read that you shouldn't use bakers chocolate as it contains fat which is not good for head retention
-I've read that nibs don't yield the greatest results and are expensive
-Cocoa can be used in the boil and in secondary, I'd recommend both. If I wasn't wanting to get some "regular" Oatmeal stout out of my last batch I would have added it to the boil (wasn't interested in doing separate boils)
-I used 4oz dry cocoa powder dissolved in about 2 cups boiled water for the 2.5 gallon batch and it had a nice chocolate essence but wasn't overpowering. It aged well too - tasted it's best after about 4 months in the bottle.
-that's a good idea about the liqueur, I'll have to try that next time.

If you can find it, this is what I use in mine. It's fat free, which is a good thing for brewing. I used 6 or 9 oz in mine and it comes out VERY chocolaty.
41KjNYbAxkL._AA300_.gif

I would definately rethink the Black Barley, It will give you a lot of coffee notes but not much chocolate, maybe replace it with roasted barley and up the chocolate a little more to make up for the difference in color.

I have read a bit of the differences between black barley and roasted barley, but most of the things I read say they are the same thing...what are the flavor differences between the black and roasted barley?

Roasted barley is 2 row that has been roasted, is unmalted and is generally sold as 300L.

Black barley is Roasted at a higher temp, is more bitter, hulless, and I would call the flavor much "Sharper", and stronger. Color is usually 500-550L. I find it to be a little burnt or acrid, some people probably find that pleasant though.

They both dry the flavor of the beer, add coffee flavors and roastiness, they are both unfermentable starches, but i think 8 oz of black is going to subdue other ingredients in the beer and make it more difficult to detect the Chocolate.

You have a lot of chocolate malt in there already, which is going to have a give a pretty strong roasty/coffee/chocolate flavor. Having roastiness alongside the chocolate can be really nice, if its balanced. But that’s really the trick!

I have read a bit of the differences between black barley and roasted barley, but most of the things I read say they are the same thing...what are the flavor differences between the black and roasted barley?

It depends on the maltster. For example Briess roasted barley is listed at 300L while their black barley is 500L (and much more burnt, acrid, charcoal etc...). However, most of the roasted barley I see is English and 500-550L and similar to the Briess black barley. I think 1/2 lb of the dark stuff is a fine addition to your beer, it won't add "chocolate" flavor, but it will give you some roast that will blend well with it.

Well, with all of that considered, I think I will make the trade between Black and Roasted Barley. Keep it at half a pound. I think it is dark enough to not worry about color. But regardless, I will run the numbers.

Thanks!

Also, I am currently planning on using Wyeast 1335, British Ale II, but does anyone else have any suggestions? I am using Brewmasters Warehouse, so I can only really choose from what they have available.

I currently have the British Ale II, and WLP001 frozen down at my place.

I like US-04 for mine. Works just as well as the liquid british ale yeasts for less money and no both of making a starter. But if you already have the liquid yeast than it's a moot point.

You did freeze those yeasts with glycerin, right? Yeast die when you freeze them improperly.

Of course. Actually I use a glycerin yeast nutrient mix I make. It is an equivalent to a minimal media of sorts. Allows for yeast to maintain viability while not supplying energy for reproduction, lowering the rate of mutation....sorry, rambling.

I have re-cultured all of my yeasts from my bank atleast once, they all maintain viability. (I am a microbiologist, so, its kinda like taking my work home with me :D)

sry to bring this back, but I had a question about cocoa in secondary. I have Hershey special dark powder. Want to add maybe 2-4 oz into secondary. I know cocoa powder will go into solution better in secondary because of the ethanol, but can I just toss the cocoa in? recommend a hop bag perhaps? Or make a thick syrup from the powder and then add it?

I don't want to get too out of hand with the chocolate, since I am adding both chocolate liqueur, cocoa powder, and there is 1lb chocolate malt in the grain bill. So any suggestions and insight would be awesome.

I usually make a chocolate syrup by adding sugar and water and boiling then add to secondary. The small fermentation helps keep the cocoa suspended longer.

Go 4 oz or more.

Back