IPA - Nottingham and/or Munton's Gold

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Effington

Reaction score
Here's what I've got - I started an IPA this afternoon and then realized I didn't quite plan ahead on the yeast selection.

I have a Munton's Gold packet. I have never used Munton's - I've always opted for a liquid starter or a Safale yeast.

I also have a packet of Nottingham which I have used to good results.

But I just had this crazy idea... could I add both?? the Munton's and Nottingham? My basement is where I brew and temps are pretty cold this time of year, about 60F, so maybe the extra yeast will give it the boost it needs.

I also don't want my IPA to taste gross. Anyone ever do this? It seems like the Munton's Gold and Nottingham are similar.

You can definitely try it and I'd honestly be surprised if it wasn't good. However, I'd just go with the nottingham. It's a better all around yeast and 60F is a pretty sweet spot in its range (my opinion).

Id have to agree with svudah, temps are perfect for the nottingham. If you have your heart set on trying both then by all means go for it and let me know how you get on :mug:

Coming from someone who pretty much exclusively uses Nottingham, that stuff can take those temps and ferment like a beast. You're talking about 60*F ambient, not wort temp. That wort will probably be 68* F or so when it's vigorously fermenting and Nottingham can handle internal temps in the 50's. Also, that Nottingham will create an extremely clean beer at those temps, which is just what you want in an IPA. I'd save the other yeast for something else and just pitch that Nottingham.

Check the lot number and date of the Nottingham against the bad batch put out last year. Search for Nottingham Yeast Recall on these boards to find the affected lot number. Good luck. N_G

I decided to pitch just the Nottingham based partly on what people have said here - it's nice to hear that it won't have any trouble getting started at 60° ambient temperature. Not sure if I'll ever use the Munton's - with how inexpensive dry yeast is, there doesn't seem to be good reason to go the cheap route unless it's the only thing available.

I'll check the fermentation tonight for progress. It should be good though, a successful brew day and quickly leading up to my first dry hop...

I decided to pitch just the Nottingham based partly on what people have said here - it's nice to hear that it won't have any trouble getting started at 60° ambient temperature. Not sure if I'll ever use the Munton's - with how inexpensive dry yeast is, there doesn't seem to be good reason to go the cheap route unless it's the only thing available.

I'll check the fermentation tonight for progress. It should be good though, a successful brew day and quickly leading up to my first dry hop...

I actually disagree with you. Unless I'm making an exotic style like a hefe or a wit, I use s-04, s-05, or Nottingham for most of my yeast needs.

J

Tried nottingham twice, each time 72 hours without any activity. Not the same lot as the recall, will not use that yeast again. Just me though,. I have not tried Muntons.

Back