Adding bourbon to beer? Is it sanitary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toadfuller

Reaction score
I am about to try something that I have not before... namely add a tincture of spices to my secondary fermenter. Rather than brew them in the mash or boil, I have added all the spices to a cup of bourbon and have let them steep for a few days. I intend to strain out all the solids and add them to the secondary fermenter.

My question is.. is the bourbon sanitary just because it is alcohol? If I boil it, I am going to lose a lot of the spice essence... Do you think it will be okay since it is alcohol? Or should I treat it in someway before adding it to the wort?

Anything that could live in 80 proof alcohol won't just infect your beer, it'll blow up your car, steal your wife, teach your dog to attack you, and force your favorite sports teams to lose every game. Not only that, but it will be rich, and better looking than you.

In other words, don't worry about it. No need to pasteurize your bourbon before adding it.

Dammit, Skins. You snuck in there while I was composing! :mug:

Back