Bare minimum?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MCH

Reaction score
What's the bare minimum equipment needed for brewing? I've looked at a few kits around and they all come with caps, bottles and a capper, all of which I've already got. So unless there's another kit out there without those, I may have to piece a kit together.

Any help would be appreciated.

BTW--I'm over 2 hours from the nearest Brewing store so most of my purchases, if not all, will come from the internet.

Austin Homebrew will adjust the cost of their kits by removing what you already have. Watched them do it in the store the other day. $6.99 flat rate shipping.

I think bare minimum depends on how much money you want to spend. My opinion of a bare minimum setup has changed since I started. For me, I would want to have a 6 gallon Better Bottle for my primary, a 5 gallon Better Bottle for secondary (there is much debate on if you even need to do a secondary), an Auto-Siphon, a Bottling Bucket, Bottle Filler, a Bottle Tree and Vinator, and (assuming you're going to start out doing extract batches) a 5 gallon brewpot.

Fermenter, hydrometer, (wine theif or turkey baster and sample tube), bottling bucket, auto siphon...If you have bottles, caps and a capper that is the minimum I would use....

Back