Ease of Going from Sanke Kegerator to Homebrew Kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

polamalu43

Reaction score
I have a very simple and straight-forward question: how easy is it to take a commercial kegerator on craigslist and convert it to a homebrew kegerator?

I’m thinking of getting one of the kegerators listed on craigslist here: http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/search/sss?query=kegerator and getting an adapter from here: http://stores.kegconnection.com/Cat...s:Sanke+Commercial+to+Homebrew+Keg+Conversion.

Does anyone see a problem with that plan?

I have done a load of research on the various options I have when I start kegging and I’m aware of the differences between sankes and cornies. I’ve looked into the Sanyo 4912 method, and I cannot see how buying one of those for $209 at best buy (best price that I can find) and getting a conversion kit from micromatic.com or beveragefactory.com is cheaper than getting a kegerator on craigslist and converting it. I know that there can be space/height issues.

Will it be easy? Anyone else have any advice on converting sanke to homebrew?

I would think, assuming it's tall enough to accomodate a cornie, it would just be a matter of changing out the sanke fitting for a couple of ball lock fittings and possibly changing out some hoses if the size isn't right.

But I can't afford keging stuff yet, so what do I know... :mug:

I converted a factory made kegerator. Here are the things to consider:

- You will likley be able to fit more than one corny in there. For a nice clean build, you should swap out the single tower for a dual or triple (depending on how many can fit.

- You should consider getting a dual regulator or gas manifold so that you can have all of the kegs gassed.

- You should buy new beer line and liquid and gas disconnects.

It was a pretty easy job, and I got a good deal on it. In retrospect I would go this route again.

closet1.jpg

Cut the lines and swap out the connectors and your good to go. I have a Danby and the swap took about 10 minutes. You should be able to fit more then one Cornie so you will probably want another tap or 2. I currently use a picnic tap for kegs 2 and 3. Someday I will get a 3 tap tower.

Thanks for the quick and helpful replies everyone. My follow-up question: will this be fine if it's a full fridge with taps on the wall?

Thanks for the quick and helpful replies everyone. My follow-up question: will this be fine if it's a full fridge with taps on the wall?

should make no difference whether it's a full sized fridge, or a standard-sized kegerator. it's only the keg couplings that matter (and whether you can fit that that baby in the man cave)

Truth be told, I think you'd find that there are a lot of home brewers (including myself) that use Sanke (commercial) kegs for their beer rather than the soda kegs . they're more durable and they don't rely on multiple o-rings to seal.

I know you say you've done your homework between sankes and cornies. Not sure what convinced you to go corny. I've used both,sankes are better in every way plus if you ever want to buy a commercial keg you can. I usually pick up a keg or 2 in the summer when I have other things to do besides brew beer. I would buy it...leave it as is...go buy your favorite beer while your other beer is fermenting and staaart drinkin tap beer :D

The guy in the link selling a regular fridge as a kegerator for $1000 is smokin crack...You can get a free fridge, or cheap, and drill 2 holes in the door and have the same thing

Second link didn't work

Easiest thing to do is not switch to a corny. Use a Sanke for homebrew, they are wonderful, durable and have fewer places to leak from.

Latest posts

Back