Ebay stir plate speed controler wiring ebay

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wheelspin

Reaction score
So I got this stir plate speed controller off ebay cheap. See attached.

Now question is, as there are 4 terminals at the back, which wires go where ?

Can anyone help me ? :)

$(KGrHqJ,!rgF!6jS-r2wBQd7h6Ym3g~~60_12.JPG

Did it come with any documentation? Can you provide a photo of the terminals you're talking about and any writing on or near them?

No documentation or writing on or near the terminals, just came in a bubble wrapped packet.

But if you turn the controller up side down and look at the printed circuit underneath screw terminal 2nd from the right (this is the terminal 2nd from the right in the pic) it has a path of solder that runs to another 3 connections - all the rest of the screw terminals on the printed circuit just have dots of solder.

I'd take a pic but don't have my camera with me.

Do you have the ability to measure resistance (ohms), like a multimeter? I can't tell from looking at the pictures, but you should be able to measure across some of the terminals and adjust the dial to determine which pathway is the one you want.

If i just start connecting wires tried and error method until it works is there any danger of blowing the controller up or damaging it ?

Probably... If it's 120v you should only be connecting two wires - common supply and common load (to the stir plate). Neutral would remain unswitched.

I bought one of those (or something similar as well).

I don't remember which of the many sellers I bought this from, but one of the listings for this item had a schematic showing which terminal to connect to what. Have a look at other similar listings on ebay and I'll bet you'll find it.

It's a 12 V unit but the wiring should be the same as in the 2nd pic - wouldn't it ?

But wait, just this minute been staring at my unit to see if it's the same one in the pic and hidden behind the terminals obscured by a plate is Power - and + and Motor - and +.

So wiring looks the same as in your pic Cupido

Thanks guys !!!! Bit of tortuous journey but we got there.

Going to try it tonight when I get home.

Will post if it works as expected. If it does it's a cheap ($9)and quick alternative to the electronics experts builds I've seen.

RESULT !!!!

Hooked it up to my cell phone charger and PC fan last night and it works like a dream.

Ran it all night and this morning it was spinning happily away. I can control the revs form just ticking over to warp speed.

$ 9 dollars well spent.

This is the guys description on ebay. Took only a week to ship to South Africa. Free shipping !!!

12V-40V 10A Pulse Width Modulation PWM DC Motor Speed Control Switch Governor

DSCN2349.jpg

Good stuff!

I'm building a boil control module out of a 120V 2000W dial... hopefully it goes as well. :)

Yep, living in North Pole Alaska. Will take beer bribes to get anyone on Santas "good" list. As a matter of fact we hang out at the same lounge. The Elf's Den..lol.
There is a few of us homebrewers up here.
Thanks for the link.

For this low current application you'll probably be fine, but I tried to build a boil level controller on the weekend using one of these voltage regulators designed for 2000w on my 1500w element and it fried the voltage controller.

It looks like it heated up the heat sink so much it melted the solder holding it on. The heat sink fell out and the controller went poof in smoke.

Back