5 gallon batch in 15 gallon conical

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rizziot

Reaction score
I have an opportunity to buy a 15 gallon minibrew (plastic) conical from a friend for pretty cheap. I am new to this and was curious if a 15 is a good size for all batch sizes? To me it seemed like a good deal as it should grow with me if I end up scaling into larger batches.

Thanks for any input! :mug:

It will work well as a primary fermentor on a 5g batch. You'll need a secondary fermentor though that leaves as little airspace as possible. It will certainly come in handy if you start brewing 15g batches as you would then not have to do a secondary transfer.

It will work well as a primary fermentor on a 5g batch. You'll need a secondary fermentor though that leaves as little airspace as possible. It will certainly come in handy if you start brewing 15g batches as you would then not have to do a secondary transfer.

You don't need to secondary with a conical. The valve at the bottom can be used to dump the yeast and trub out. You also don't have to worry about headspace, as there will be a co2 layer over the wort.

So to answer the OP's question, yes a 15 gallon conical will be fine for 5 gallon batches.

I have an opportunity to buy a 15 gallon minibrew (plastic) conical from a friend for pretty cheap. I am new to this and was curious if a 15 is a good size for all batch sizes? To me it seemed like a good deal as it should grow with me if I end up scaling into larger batches.

Thanks for any input! :mug:

Luckehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I'm looking to snag a conical in the future once I have a bit more room.

Back