Power Cords

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moparx12

Reaction score
I figured i would ask because i was shocked to see the price of 4 conductor 6 gauge flexible cord for my rig I'm building. I figure i need about 20 feet of it because i will be plugging into two outlets for B2B batch mode.

Anyway, where are people buying cord? do you just go with much shorter lengths? maybe i am over-estimating with 10 ft per cord.

For my power cord I used a 30amp dryer cord. They are easily found at any big box store, but are normally only 5-6 ft (I have seen a few 10 ft cords). It worked for my setup simply because it already had a 4-prong dryer outlet plug on one end and nothing on the other, so I was able to simply add my locking plug that goes into my control panel. However, I only have about 3 ft from my panel to the outlet.

hmm, i forgot to include that i will need each cord to handle 50 amps. i will have 4 x 5500 watt elements - 2 elements running on each cord.

I found some 4 wire cable on ebay for 4.50 a foot. i will just settle with 2 x ~6 foot cables. that's still going to be like $70 just for power cable. I guess you gotta pay to play!

moparx12 said:
hmm, i forgot to include that i will need each cord to handle 50 amps. i will have 4 x 5500 watt elements - 2 elements running on each cord.

I found some 4 wire cable on ebay for 4.50 a foot. i will just settle with 2 x ~6 foot cables. that's still going to be like $70 just for power cable. I guess you gotta pay to play!

Have you tried an electrical supply? Some won't sell unless you have an account but it's worth a try. You'll probably pay much less. Or try a local contractor. I'd give a brewer a good deal;)

Last edited by a moderator:
The OP mentioned "flexible" cord. That's is a subjective term, but I personally do not consider the electric range cords to be "flexible". Those suckers are stiff, and you have to bend them with your hands to get them to change directions.

Here's some 6x4 flexible stuff (55A rating) for $3.78/foot:
Cable Yung-Li Cord Bulk 6x4c STO 105* 600 Volt 1 Foot Length Black UL - Flexible Cord - Our Item #: 6351, Category: Cord / Wire / Conduit / Grips : StayOnline.com

Do you really need the 4th wire (the neutral)? If not, then you can go a lot cheaper with some 6x3 flexible stuff (55A) for $2.79/foot:
Cable Yung-Li Cord Bulk 6x3c STO 105* 600 Volt 1 Foot Length Black UL - Flexible Cord - Our Item #: 8965, Category: Cord / Wire / Conduit / Grips : StayOnline.com

awesome. Thanks for the help guys. I orded some earlier today for $4 per foot from a local electrical supply. I havn't paid for it yet so i suppose i could back out and save a little bit and go with the dryer cords. those seem to be the cheapest (plus they already have the right plug on them). Also, i was going to settle with 7.5 foot power cords so i might as well just go with 10 footers.

And Walker, yes i do need the neutral to run 120 pumps. one of them could actually be 3 wire come to think of it, because the second outlet will only power the additional elements and no neutral needed for that.

As long as i can coil it into a ~2 foot diameter coil i am fine with it. Do you think its much stiffer than a dryer cord? i have one of those laying around and it is not too stiff IMO. When i said flexible i meant i need it more flexible than the romex 6/4 stuff i just put in my wall. That stuff is hard to work with.

You gave clearly never had your hands on some good SOW flexible power cord of you think dryer cords are flexible. :D

Edit: if you think dryer cords are ok then you will have no problem with the range cords.

As long as i can coil it into a ~2 foot diameter coil i am fine with it. Do you think its much stiffer than a dryer cord? i have one of those laying around and it is not too stiff IMO. When i said flexible i meant i need it more flexible than the romex 6/4 stuff i just put in my wall. That stuff is hard to work with.
Charlotte, NC???
We need to visit together in a pub and talk while having a brew!
You pick the pub. (I have my own ideas.)

lol. No i have not. I have held some 0 gauge car audio wire and that was quite flexible for its size!

Back