Little To No Carbonation After 5 Weeks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

S_carve

Reaction score
i have a clone brew kit of Ommegang, it has been in the bottles for at least 5 weeks and there is little to no carbonation. It has maybe an 1/8 inch og head when poured. The taste is right on but a little disappointed about the carbonation. It is supposed to in the bottle for 6 weeks according the directions but i figured it have more than it does at 5 weeks. Should i let sit longer? Or should I try to repair it? I have alot of extra Priming sugar kicking around, I have read that you can uncap them and add a little but not sure how much. Any help would be great.

How much priming sugar did you use? What temp were the bottles stored at? Have you tried gently rolling the bottles to get the sediment stirred up?

i used 3/4 cup of dme to prime and all my beer sits at 68-70 while fermenting and after bottled, but no i have not tried rolling them

Aah, yeah. For DME I usually use 1.5 cups to prime. But yeah, try rolling them to get the yeast back into suspension, that should help.

ok checked again with the recipe and it was a prepared kit, the amount of DME included was 1 1/4 cups

That should be enough to prime 5 gallons. I'd do what Whelk suggested, go ahead and resuspend the yeast in each bottle and keep at 70 degrees.

I would NOT add carb drops or more sugar at this point. You should have enough fermentables in there.

How long did it sit in secondary before you bottled it? I know I sound like a broken record, but...if you age it in carboy for more than a month, you should really add some rehydrated dry yeast to the cooled priming solution just to be sure.

it was in the secondary for 6 weeks as stated in the directions, it was from the book Beer Captured

Evan!'s probably right. You needed some fresher yeast to prime your brew. If you have some carbonation there must be some living yeast present so rolling the bottles and giving it some more time should work.

ok so i rolled all the bottles and turned up the yeast on the bottom, now how long should it take to start some carbonation again?

i also read something related in homebrewing for dummies when i was checked on some kegging questions that i had. it said that forced carbonation through kegging is a good for beers over 8% because the yeast may have a hard time carbonating the beer when priming because it is stunned by the alcohol. is that true?

It should take anywhere from another week to 3 weeks, it all depends (time, sugars, yeast in suspension, etc). As for the kegging thing, yeah, probably.

Back